Wednesday, September 28, 2016

One Hawley A Day



Listening to an entire Richard Hawley album can be emotionally draining. I have never been able to, though I have tried for years. It's like watching a 40 minute loop of Rick telling Ilsa to get on the plane in "Casablanca." It's big, sweeping and sad, but enough already. Get on the damn plane!

Yet, I love every single song I have ever heard by Richard Hawley. They are musical vitamins. I must only take one a day. This track from "Truelove's Gutter" popped up the iPod as I was riding the subway last night during rush hour. I was completely transported to another place and time. When it was over, I felt dizzy and out of breath. Normally, when I hear a song that gets me, I want to hear more of the record it came from. When, "Open Up Your Door" finished, I knew I couldn't listen to more Richard Hawley for the rest of the evening. I had responsibilities.

I love everything about this record. It's like Phil Spector producing Scott Walker for the new James Bond theme.

6 comments:

Dr Wu said...

Perfect description. And I agree. His albums are perfection, but his music becomes exponentially more powerful in small doses.

buzzbabyjesus said...

It sounds like a classic Wrecking Crew hit.

A guy called Tak said...

I'd rather see him produce another album for A Girl Called Eddie...
Even though I admit he has 'The Voice'.

Bulletins From Mars Hill said...

He is one of those guys who is almost too good. I know what you mean about him being emotionaly draining. A little goes a long way. Every album is a masterpiece. Standing at the Sky's Edge is a personal favourite

Bill said...

Great song. I never really listened to him before. so just dialed up Hollow Meadows on Spotify. I can see what I'm going to be doing this weekend. Really great stuff.

A walk in the woods said...

Oh, I love, love, love Richard Hawley. The LP with "I'm Looking For Someone To Find Me" is my favorite. He's a genius and, like Joe Henry, his great work seems to get almost no notice at all.