Monday, April 2, 2018

One More Great Record of 1967: Jerry Reed



I am halfway through Peter Guralnick's second volume on Elvis, "Careless Love: The Unmaking Of Elvis Presley." As much as I loved the first volume, "Careless Love" is more compelling. I am more interested in what went wrong, because it was fairly easy to see what went right.

I've always loved all Elvis. Everything from the earliest recordings at Sun, to the cheesy soundtracks, to the brilliant late 60's tracks from Memphis, right through the bloated sounds of his later recordings, had something to offer. Even "Class A" cheese like "Moody Blue" was great AM radio. But my favorite moment of "Careless Love" so far is the discovery of an album released in 1967 called, "The Unbelievable Guitar & Voice Of Jerry Reed."

I mostly know Jerry Reed as the guy who made that awful novelty hit, "When You're Hot, You're Hot," not to mention so many other albums I flip through four at a time in bargain bins, and from lousy Burt Reynolds movies. But the way Peter Guralnick writes about his entry into Presley's world, made me want to dig deeper. Reed was the man who wrote both "Guitar Man" and "U.S. Male," two late 60's Elvis tracks, that by and large, are considered to be the beginning of the comeback. Sessions with Reed were loose. So loose, that some of "The King's" keepers deemed them unsuitable. Plus, I believe there were issues with publishing. Reed was a wild guitar player, "The Alabama Wild Man," and during those sessions, he apparently egged Elvis on, in the best way possible, and what was committed to tape, would have been some of Elvis's most rocking stuff since the 50's heyday. Long story short, the Jerry Reed sessions were aborted and shelved, Felton Jarvis took over, and that was that. Those Jerry Reed sessions have since been scattered over a number releases, including the soundtrack to "Clambake," where they are included as bonus tracks. But I wanted to know more about Jerry Reed himself, so I went ahead and bought the aforementioned record, strictly for the two tracks, "Guitar Man" and "U.S. Male." I wanted to hear what Elvis heard.

Holy Crap!



This record predates any of Mike Nesmith's or Gene Clark's cosmic country. It's almost psychedelic at times, like Bang-era Neil Diamond meets the Electric Prunes.  Both "Guitar Man" and "U.S. Male" are here in their original state, and they are exactly what you'd expect them to be, which is not a bad thing at all. But it is the rest of the record that has truly knocked me for a loop. I did not expect to hear what I heard. Some of it is folky, in a Lovin' Spoonful via Joe Butler way. Some, a little bit of a wink and a nudge, but never as over the top cornball as "When You're Hot, You're Hot." Reed's guitar playing is a stand out on just about every track. It's a terrific record, full a great songs and arrangements, with a lousy cover that belies what is found inside.




The next release, "Alabama Wild Man" has more of the same, including this version of "The House Of The Rising Sun," which I love, and a not bad version of The Monkees hit, also below.

I don't expect I'll be going too deep into Jerry Reed's catalogue. Hearing "When You're Hot, You're Hot" might ruin the whole deal. But I found a new respect for Jerry Reed thanks to his first three records, all released in the 60's. I highly recommend the debut.





18 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinating piece about Jerry Reed and Elvis. One wonders what might have happened to Presley if Reed's influence had kept out the Memphis Mafia and allowed Elvis to get back to his roots.You've got me putting Peter Guralnick's books on my to-be-read list. Thanks.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I like "Careless Love" better for the same reason.

If memory serves, my first encounters with Jerry Reed was as a frequent guest on Glen Campbell's show. Roy Clark was another picker he featured. "Guitar Man" indeed.

Jerry Reed strikes me as a talented musician and entertainer that never quite found the right way to connect to a larger audience. Probably a little too "wild" and "Alabama" for mass appeal at that time.

A line from one of those Burt Reynolds movies I'll never forget is Jerry signing off his CB radio by saying, "I'm gonna get some go-go juice(diesel fuel) and throw some groceries down my neck".

I'm betting there are 3-4 albums from that period you could make a nice compilation from.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of a Porter Wagoner album I bought years ago, What Ain't To Be, Just Might Happen (1972), one in which Porter ventures into some weird psychobilly (Rubber Room) then to novelty (Waldo The Wierdo). Porter even dons a far out paisley shirt on the album cover.

Randy

Chris Collins said...

I've got my listening cut out for me right now.

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for the share, Sal! Definitely be giving these albums a listen - excited that they may become new favorites like when I discovered Buck Owens and Merle Haggard by way of Dwight Yoakam.

Rodger Stroup said...

I've been looking for another road to explore, and while I hadn't considered Jerry Reed, I think it's a fantastic idea.

With Elvis, it's hard to look at what he accomplished, and not wonder what could've been if . . . .
And, if there's a poster boy for what bad management can do to an artist, along with the impact his pals had on not rocking the boat, Elvis is it.

Rodger

Squints said...

"When You're Hot, You're Hot" is undeniably cheesy but alright if you go maybe five years between hearings. 8^)

The prior big hit, however, "Amos Moses," absolutely SMOKES. The first 45 a 10-year-old Squints actually bought vs being gifted.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sal ... these are terrific!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you don't like "When You're Hot..." Of course I haven't heard it in about 20 years, but I remember it being a lot of fun and sounding like Jerry had fun making it. It has twice the balls and energy than any of the songs you posted, none of which I'll remember hearing even 5 years from now, let alone 20.
But thanks, BBJ for promoting JR, Peter G, and keeping the fire burning.
Tinpot

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry you thought so little of the songs I posted, Tinpot. But to be clear, the post wasn't about which songs had more balls. It was about how surprised I was to hear that the man who I had only known as the guy behind "When You're Hot, You're Hot," which I still don't care for, had released music prior that was so dissimilar and in a style of artists and music I do like. I happen to really dig what I posted and find the first two songs as good as any pop single of the era.


Anonymous said...

Sal? That's you?!! Didn't notice you were back. That's great!
And it wasn't that I "thought so little" of the songs you posted, just that they seem rather unremarkable compared to what JR is capable of (like "When You're Hot" as trivial and over-exposed as it may be.)
Anyway, fuck all that, I'm just SO HAPPY to see you posting again!
Tinpot

Sal Nunziato said...

Thanks Tinpot. While I have you, are there later JR records that are worth listening to, maybe something along the lines of "Amos Moses" and the rockin' tracks, like "US Male" and "Love Man?"

Anonymous said...

And after reading this I see I need to fond a copy of the 1st lp. And give it a spin, thanks for the info Sal

Unknown said...

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band covered "Amos Moses" on their "SAHB Stories" album - and Alex Harvey was a bloke who knew how to pick the best songs for cover versions.

Shriner said...

Nothing really to add here other than I've always loved "Amos Moses". I should look for cover versions of that -- I always thought that was one of those songs that you couldn't really cover because of the playing and performance, but apparently not!

Bill said...

Thanks for sharing these. I never really listened to any of his music. Mostly being familiar with him and his acting, which turned me off of looking for any of his albums. Good stuff.

FD13NYC said...

I had always known he was a very good guitarist and performer. I remember this early material from many many years ago (my Father liked Jerry Reed). But never really soaked it in. Thanks for the refresher Sal, you are on the money with this one.

Rodger Stroup said...

Once again, I followed the trail Sal cleared, and once again I was not disappointed. I found a BGO cd with Reed's first four albums. I'm through the first two albums, and they are superb. I wouldn't change Sal's take on the first album, "The Unbelievable Guitar and Voice of Jerry Reed." I would only add that "Guitar Man" and "U.S. Male" almost sound out of place on the album stylistically.
"Alabama Wild Man" is nearly as strong after one pass through. I had no idea that Jerry Reed was making albums like this. A great find at just the right time.
Thanks again, Sal.
Rodger