Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Darkness: The Last Of Their Kind



Please allow me to get this out of my system and then I won't bother you about The Darkness anymore.

If you are not a fan of hard rock, heavy metal, pop or glam, I imagine there'd be nothing of interest for you in the band The Darkness. You could turn me on to the greatest mime in the history of mime and I simply would not bother. I'm not interested. But, I really believe The Darkness has something for everyone.

I realize I've been talking about this band on and off now for a few years, as if they just showed up on the scene. In actuality, they have been around for 15 years. I only just showed up. Since the release of "Hot Cakes" in 2012, I cannot think of a record I have enjoyed more. The Darkness has released two records since, both terrific, though neither as perfect as "Hot Cakes."

I saw the band play live last night at the mildly odious venue Brooklyn Steel and this performance, as uncomfortable as it was at times---jam-packed with what felt like the entire NBA in attendance---was an absolute joy from beginning to end. If you had walked in at any point of the evening, you might think you were witnessing the second coming of Spinal Tap. But if you had been paying attention since 2003, you'd know that Justin & Dan Hawkins, Frankie Poullain and new drummer Rufus Tiger Taylor, son of Queen drummer Roger Taylor, were all in on it. They pulled out all the stops, leaving no cliche behind, loving and laughing every second of the way, while playing and singing two hours worth of hooks, riffs and choruses to die for.  And lyrically, they are both brilliant and hilarious.

I will admit, The Darkness pushes all the right buttons for me. The solid four on the floor pounding and riffing of AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, the melodies and vocal theatrics of Queen, the pop hooks of Cheap Trick and the ability to keep their tongues firmly in cheek like the Mael Brothers of Sparks. "One Way Ticket To Hell...and Back," anyone?

I love this band.



Here's an hour of my favorites. Give it a shot if anything I said is even remotely appealing. This type of rock and roll doesn't come around often these days. The Darkness may truly be the last of their kind.

TRACKLIST

One Way Ticket
Nothing's Gonna Stop Us
All The Pretty Girls
Friday Night
Everybody Have A Good Time
Black Shuck
Sarah O Sarah
Solid Gold
She's Just A Girl, Eddie
Japanese Prisoner Of Love
Last Of Our Kind
Why Don't The Beautiful Cry?
Dinner Lady Arms
Forbidden Love
I Believe In A Thing Called Love

zip

15 comments:

Shriner said...

Agreed in full!

I thought the best thing (well one of the best things) about the show -- even a week later -- was remembering how much fun it seemed the band (particularly Justin who was thanking the audience at every opportunity for being there) were having even with a crowd of only 670 people in attendance. (That and the people that decided to bring their 8-12 year old kids with them to the show and be right-up-front and watching Dan frantically signal to the kids that they better cover their ears right before the end of the encore...) A solid, fun and tight show. I regret not seeing this band before, but they all looked healthy and happy -- and that made it that much better.

But, what, no "Rock In Space" on the Tracklist? :-)

Jim H. said...

Saw them on their first US tour back in 2004, with the awesome Wildhearts as support, and other were about the tightest most fun bands i'd ever seen.......so many people wrote them off after "Permission To Land's" success, but they STILL write great, hooky, fun hard rock songs with tongues firmly in cheek......if there are some who persist in thinking they are a 'parody' band, well, you just don't get it.....

Dr Wu said...

Damn, this is fine!!! Thanks for this intro mix - weather gets a little warmer and this will be blasting in every neighborhood everywhere. Certainly will be in mine. Thanks again, Sal!

snakeboy said...

Thanks Sal for letting me know good music is still being made. Not familiar with the band,so, it's time to catch up.

Squints said...

I didn't know about the drummer being Roger Taylor's son. But that's perfectly apropos. I love these guys. "Knockers" is hilarious. Why "Everybody Have A Good Time" wasn't a worldwide monster hit is beyond me.

Sal Nunziato said...

Squints,
I agree, re: Everybody Have A Good Time. It's the best Queen song since News f The World.

kevin m said...

Sal- I know you've been raving about these guys for years but for some reason I just can't get into them. I admit I haven't spent much time listening to them but every time I do, my interest fades. Perhaps I need to see them live to appreciate them.

Sal Nunziato said...

Kevin- the records are better!

Todd said...

I saw them in 2004, as well, and took my then teen-aged daughter because I knew she would never have a chance to see a band and a concert like that again. They are truly the last of a breed.

OldRockr1 said...

Sal...

I've tried to get into The Darkness a few times over the past few years. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm gonna give it another try this week. I need me some fun rock for a change.

Chris

Jobe said...

Sal have you ever checked out Steel Panther? These guys are always good for a few laughs

dogbreath said...

You're preaching to the converted as far as I'm concerned, mate. "Solid Gold"indeed. Cheers for the mix though!

DaveF said...

I actually "discovered" this band through your recommendation a while back and I loved their sound on the spot. A great throwback to earlier days when lining up on a Saturday morning to get the new Physical Graffiti meant something. Thanks.

FD13NYC said...

For what it's worth, I like them a lot, a very good band. Been listening to the a while as well.

M_Sharp said...

I finally had time for a few good listens, there are a lot of great tunes here. It's good to hear a band with a sense of humor, too Thanks!!