Sunday, April 22, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 4/14-4/20

 
 
 
 
My Baby's Taking Me Home- Sparks
I Don't Want To Love You- The Everly Brothers
Much Too Much- The Who
Touch Too Much- AC/DC
Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?- Prince
Toys-XTC
Nught -Bruce Springsteen
 
 
My Baby's Taking Me Home- Sparks
I've been obsessed with this song since seeing Sparks play it live last year. It's not for everyone, but witnessing the dynamics of a six piece band do this was mind-blowing.
I Don't Want To Love You- The Everly Brothers
I listen to Phil & Don all the time and wonder why every one isn't doing the same. This one is on the the "Everly Brothers Sing" record which I played the other day.

Much Too Much-The Who
A woman at my local Italian deli asked for grated parmesan and the clerk showed her a hunk, to which she replied, "No, that's much too much." So, that was that. Sang this one all day.

Touch Too Much- AC/DC
Because I thought of this after posting "Much Too Much." I also love how this song could almost be AC/DC does The Cars.

Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad- Prince
Because while looking for the video to Nilsson's "Life Life" on Wednesday, this song was suggested on the YouTube sidebar. Strange, no? Anyway, it's my favorite Prince guitar solo and one of my favorite guitar solos of all time, so why not...

Toys- XTC
I suggested at rehearsal that we should give this new song we are working on a "Love On A Farmboy's Wages" vibe, so of course, my musical ADD kicked in and needed to hear "Mummer," which reminded of this great B-side.
Night-Bruce Springsteen
A friend mentioned how he did not like "rock sax."  I immediately thought of this song.



ZIP

6 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Great!

I'm with you on the Everlys.

Here's a question ... do you plan out a number of songs and then post one a day or do you sit down and pick one song for that day?

Thanks Sal

A walk in the woods said...

Sal... enjoying this mix, and especially enjoying your recent "Reasons Behing The SOTW Mixes". Thanks man - have a great weekend!

dogbreath said...

Interesting to read the whys and wherefores of the SOTD selections. Knew it was more than a demonstration of chaos theory! Loving the Who-AC/DC-Prince middle section. Cheers!

Bill said...

Thanks for the release notes, Sal. One of the great things about knowing so much music is the free-ranging connections that get made, whether from something somebody says or a subway car that makes a certain noise that reminds you of a song. Lots to reward a body throughout the day.

Sal Nunziato said...

Jayessemm,
There really is no plan. For instance, subway ride home and the iPod played a song I didn't recognize by a band I thought I knew everything by. When I got home, I tossed it into the SOTW folder. It's still sitting there, as others came up that I found more interesting.

heartsofstone said...

Amy mix that starts with Sparks works for me.