Sunday, May 13, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 5/5-5/11


Travelin Light- Van Morrison & Joey DeFrancesco
Save The Bones For Henry Jones- Danny Barker
Porterville- CCR
Endless Flight- Andrew Gold
Can't Let Go- Lucinda Williams
Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
On The Turning Away-Mark McGrain & John Boutte

 
 
 
Travelin' Light-Van Morrison & Joey DeFrancesco
This is from the third and most recent of Van's new albums. I just love "She left/she left/she left/she left." Very Van.

Save The Bones For Henry Jones- Danny Barker
Another leftover from New Orleans. Danny Barker is a legend and I saw Gregg Stafford, the great New Orleans revivalist sing this while I was there. A highlight...for me.
 
 
 
Porterville- CCR
Reading an interview with Fogerty in the new Mojo (or was it Uncut) made me want to listen to CCR from record one. This one stood out.

Endless Flight-Andrew Gold
I have two sets of vinyl, which I affectionately refer to as the Major League and the Minor League. The Majors are the ones that are in my home, carefully alphabetized, often played. The minors are in my garage, loosely alphabetized, in boxes, not part of the inventory I sell, but not quite ready to take up precious space in the house. While sorting, I had to decide if four Andrew Gold records were going to stay on the roster or be sent down, so I played his debut. He did well and all four are now sitting right before Golden Earring-Moontan in my living room. This track is my second fave on the record. There was no YouTube video for my fave, "Love Hurts." (You asked.)


Can't Let Go- Lucinda Williams
I was listening to "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road," which I think is Lucinda's best record and is also one of my fave records of the last 20 years. This track stood out on this particular spin.

 
Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
Something we were playing at a John Sally Ride rehearsal reminded Sal Maida of this song. So it was on my mind.

On The Turning Away- Mark McGrain w/ John Boutte
Every year during his New Orleans Jazz Fest set, John Boutte pulls out a cover and makes it sound like it was written in and for New Orleans. One year it was "Why" by Annie Lennox. Another, "Southern Man" by Neil Young. I missed his set this year, but a friend told me he sang this Pink Floyd track. It's actually from trombonist Mark McGrain's record.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recent run by Van is something isn't it? After him being one of my top 2 or 3 fave artists I have ignored or even avoided him for the last 20 years or so. But lately he's been on fire! Maybe not reaching the creative heights of the past, but for sheer fun and enjoyable listening the last few years have been great.
Tinpot

JAYESSEMM said...

I second that emotion about Car Wheels.

Even with a truckload of less than great emotional baggage ... Great Album! In constant rotation.

A walk in the woods said...

Looking forward to hearing this... and can't wait to get the whole new Van LP!

dogbreath said...

Great little zip, many thanks. Can never have too much Creedence or Van the Man and, funnily enough, heard a Stevie Nicks/Andrew Gold track called, of all things, "Gold", over the weekend. Cheers!

Rodger Stroup said...

I missed Gold's debut, and never looked beyond the singles after that. I chalk that up to the radio fatigue I've mentioned here before with other artists. Anyway, for some reason his name came up on an album credit. Probably one of Linda Ronstadt's. For some reason I thought I might have had All This and Heaven Too, but didn't.
That led me to a 3-disc set of his first four albums, plus bonus tracks, on Edsel. After listening to his first album, I kicked myself for ignoring his albums all this time.
I've been enjoying listening to Gold's work all week, and I think he will be in heavy rotation for months to come.