Friday, June 15, 2018

Deep In The Heart Of Motown: THE WEEKEND MIX



Like every successful business, the Motown record label took a bit of time to get its footing, often pitching the same song to a number of artists, before one of them would hit it out of the park. Berry Gordy's label didn't become a behemoth until 1966, when the hits were too numerous to count. But, from the label's inception in 1959 to about the middle of 1965, the Motown roster was mostly unrecognizable---Henry Lumpkin, Lee & The Leopards, anyone--- and the "sound" was not quite nailed. Yes, that patented Motown Sound, thanks to the legendary Funk Brothers and arguably the greatest rhythm section of all-time, anchored by arguably the greatest bass player of all-time, James Jamerson. Early on, Motown singles covered blues, gospel, and straight ahead rock and roll, and though many of the singles flopped, just as many were worth listening to.

I've put together some of my favorite tracks from the early days of the label. You may recognize a few, like Mary Wells' "Bye Bye Baby," which actually was a hit, but I included it for two reasons. The first being, I absolutely love it. The second is the story, which finds Mary Wells singing take after take after and Berry Gordy not being satisfied. Wells finally started to lose her voice and begged Gordy to use an earlier take. He said no and made her sing it a few more times until he finally said, "That's it." Mary Wells voice never sounded the way it does on "Bye Bye Baby" ever again. (That's the story I heard and I am sticking to it.)

You might also recognize The Mynah Birds, not because "It's My Time" was a hit for this Canadian band, but because two of its members went on to greater success---Rick James and Neil Young.

There are two tracks by The Headliners, something I try not to do when making a mix, but I couldn't decide which to use. I really love them both.

Enjoy, I hope.

TRACKLIST

Bad Girl- The Miracles
Bye Bye Baby- Mary Wells
I Can't Help Myself- Earl Van Dyke & The Soul Brothers
Come Into My Palace- Lee & The Leopards
Mojo Hannah-Henry Lumpkin
It's My Time- The Mynah Birds
You've Got To Earn It- The Temptations
Money- Richard Wylie
Operator- Brenda Holloway
Devil In His Heart- Carolyn Crawford
Thank You (For Loving Me All The Way)- Little Stevie Wonder
Satisfied Mind- Bruce Channel
Searching For A Girl- The Contours
Do Right Baby, Do Right- Chris Clark
Leaving Here- Tommy Good
You're Bad News- The Headliners
You Got Me Worried- Hattie Littles
Voodoo Plan- The Headliners
He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'- The Velvelettes
Walk On The Wild Side- Marvin Gaye

zip



13 comments:

Troy said...

Great looking mix. I always loved "He Was Really Saying Something", it's just a killer tune. Heck, I even like the remake by Bananarama. Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sal. Always a treat to hear "new" music. Your efforts are appreciated.
Can't understand why Henry Lumpkin isn't better known. With a name like that stardom must have seemed assured.

JAYESSEMM said...

What fun! Great to hear these songs from when the "Motown Sound" was still coming together.

Thanks Sal -- have a great weekend.

buzzbabyjesus said...

A classic Weekend Mix to be sure. Thanks! And a good start for Summer. In North Carolina, they call this "Beach Music".

FD13NYC said...

Great early mix Sal, thanks for taking the time.

Bill said...

Looking forward to downloading this when I get home and firing it up (although I had my fingers crossed for an instrumental mix based on the thread from last week.

Thanks Sal!

cmealha said...

Sounds like a tasty weekend treat. Thanks

kodak ghost said...

Looking forward to listening to this one! Could be a heavy rotation for a loooong time. Thanks

A walk in the woods said...

Oh hell yes... looking forward to playing this later today!

Ken D said...

Great idea for a mix. I'm not familiar with most of these tunes, so once again, thanks!

M_Sharp said...

Excellent! Good to hear the deep tracks, I wasn't familiar with most of them either.

heartsofstone said...

Great mix

dogbreath said...

Long weekend away from home & this juicy little mix kept my toes tapping and spirits high. Many thanks!