Sunday, June 17, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 6/9-6/15



Corrina, Corrina- Rising Sons
Maybe I Loved You- The Jay Vons
Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime- The Korgis
Never Let Go- Tom Waits
Tell It To The Rain- The Four Seasons
Make Believe- Joan Jett
I've Got This Feeling- The Mavericks

zip


Corrina, Corrina- Rising Sons
Our friend Steve posted Taj Mahal's version of this song over at Power Pop, and it reminded me of this earlier version, which I love, featuring Taj and Ry Cooder.

Maybe I Loved You- The Jay Vons
From the Daptone roster of artists, the fabulous Jay Vons from NY have only released four singles since 2010. This is the first and still their best and I was reminded of it on my periodic search for a Jay Vons full length.

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime- The Korgis
One would hope....

Never Let Go- Tom Waits
This one popped up on the iPod while I was on the subway. It took all I had to not start weeping on a crowded N train.

Tell It To The Rain- The Four Seasons
I mentioned in rehearsal how I wanted a song to have a Four Seasons sound, which admittedly seems odd for a band like The John Sally Ride. Then, we started rattling off all the great singles, and both Sal Maida and I mentioned this one at the same time with the same enthusiasm.

Make Believe- Joan Jett
Something about this song from Joan's debut always reminded me of "Tell It To The Rain" by The Four Seasons, which then made me feel better about suggesting a Four Seasons sound for one of our tunes. Not that we sound like Joan Jett, but that...whatever. I know what I mean, damnit!

I've Got The Feeling- The Mavericks
A friend mentioned the album "Trampoline" and this is my fave song from that record, so of course, I had to hear it.

2 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Two notes - loooove that Corrina song and can't wait to hear this version; secondly, I think Joan Jett is thoroughly underrated.

Thanks Sal!

dogbreath said...

Thanks for doing the zip thing, much appreciated. Always good to hear that Four Seasons's song. Cheers!