Thursday, May 9, 2019

Abandoned Love: An Obsession



Forgive me, but I am obsessing over this Dylan song.  Strange maybe, but I had known this song by George Harrison and The Everly Brothers, before I had ever heard Bob's version, which had been recorded for "Desire" but then shelved. Then, the Amnesty International compilation, "Chimes Of Freedom" was released, and I fell in love all over again, this time courtesy of Paul Rodgers & Nils Lofgren. Like, "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb, one of my all time favorite tracks, I want to collect as many versions of "Abandoned Love" that are out there. So if you're holding onto any, send them my way. They should be good versions, by the way.

In the meantime, here are the Paul & Nils, George, Phil & Don and Bob versions.









9 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Ah, a morning spent listening to Abandoned Love!

Sunny is next!

Not to compare songs only obsessions I recall falling down a similar rabbit hole with that old Tom Rush song "Drivin' Wheel" ... versions by Tom, Ray Willie Hubbard, The Jayhawks, Cowboy Junkies, Black Crows, David Wiffen (who wrote it), ...

Troy said...

I knew of the song, but had never heard the Paul Rodgers/Nils Lofren version. That was terrific. Thanks for the share.

Joe said...

When I first heard this song on Biograph, I was shocked that it had not appeared on an official released BD record. Who leaves a song of this quality in the can?

Bob's version is still my favorite, although I am also partial to the Rodgers/Lofren version.

I don't know if the Bryds ever did a version of it, I don't think so. I would have loved to hear a version by the Thompson/Denny era Fairport Convention. Or maybe Linda Thompson.

Good way to start a cloudy Thursday morning, it brought a smile to my face.
joe

Anonymous said...

Chuck Prophet has a live folky version, but I think he oversings it. Willie Nile has a pretty straight version. Interesting how many people change the beginning of the song.

M B Walker said...

Ralph McTell and Wizz Jones, from the 2016 album, "About Time."

Bill said...

Really enjoying the Rodgers/Lofgren version, which I hadn't heard before.

Anonymous said...

Would love to have you post a "Sunny" playlist. I imagine it would be at least 2 discs worth.

Sal Nunziato said...

I would love to post a Sunny To Share...that was the name of my Sunny folder. Funny, no? Ahem...anyway, the truth is, when I made the transition from my old computer to new, I lost about 40K songs in my iTunes library, including about 50 Sunnys. I just can't locate any of them on my backup HD.

When I do, I will create a mix.
Fingers crossed.

M_Sharp said...

Great song, The Rogers/Lofgren version is my favorite at the moment. Nice slide guitar and accordion. I always liked Free & Rodgers acoustic songs, it seemed like they had been listening to the early Band albums.