Friday, May 10, 2019

"Three In One": THE WEEKEND MIX



I wish I could tell you there was some brilliant theme to this mix of songs I've collected for your listening pleasure. But there isn't, other than it consists of songs that were part of three different ideas.

I started to compile, but did not complete any of them. I realized with a bit of editing and tweaking, I could make one thing worth spinning from all of it. I guess that's a theme, though more lazy than brilliant. Hey, it sounds good altogether and it's something to listen to.



TRACKLIST
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago- The Yardbirds
Girl, You're Blowing My Mind- Jan & Dean
You'll Never Do It, Baby- The Lyres
Everybody's Falling In Love- World Party
Mystery's All Mine- Jules Shear
A Shot In The Arm Wilco
Session Man- The Kinks
Lemons Never Forget- The Bee Gees
Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
Don't Tie My Hands- Todd Rundgren
Much Too Much- The Who
Subway (Smokey Pokey World)- The Tickle
Tin Toy Clockwork Train- The Dukes Of Stratosphear
Popular Girl- Martin Newell
Every New Romance- David Werner

zip


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mix Sal - nice kickoff with Beck/Page.

I like this later version of Don't Tie My Hands but I would love to hear an extended original version from the Runt album (your weekend mix version is from a bootleg isn't it?).

Shear's The Great Puzzle in on my long list of albums that need to be released on vinyl.

Thanks for the tunes.

Randy

JAYESSEMM said...

Well done Sal -- thanks!

Making a mix I sometimes figure is like using a Ouija board. There are magical / supernatural / subconscious / ... forces driving our choices :-)

Sounds good altogether!

Sal Nunziato said...

Thanks Jayessemm!

And Randy, I don't think tapes exist of a full length Don't Tie My Hands or Last Thing You Said. The early pressings of Runt omitted the medley altogether in favor of a full length Baby Let's Swing.

Bill said...

David Werner--I listened to that album a lot back in the day. What's Right, Can't Imagine, She Sent Me Away--good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sal:

Where is the do over of Todd's Don't Tie My Hands from?

Captain Al

Sal Nunziato said...

Captain,
It was released on a Japanese CD called "Demos And Outtakes," but there is no specific info. I believe it's Utopia, but hard to pinpoint a year. Best guess, of course, is 80's.

M_Sharp said...

"Hey, it sounds good altogether and it's something to listen to."

Nothing wrong with that, thanks!

A walk in the woods said...

Looking forward to this!

dogbreath said...

How did I ever overlook that Bee Gees song? And The World Party track always does the trick for me. Thanks for the mix. Cheers!