Sunday, May 12, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 5/4-5/10



Sunrise- Eric Carmen
Never Know- The Lemon Twigs
Blessed- Wycliffe Gordon
Little Bit Of Love- Free
Lights Out- Jerry Byrne
Try & Stop Me- The Creation
By This River- Brian Eno

zip

Sunrise- Eric Carmen
The first song off of his first solo album and what an amazing debut away from the Raspberries it was. The false ending still gives me chills.

Never Know- The Lemon Twigs
I know there are lovers and haters of this band, but their last record still has legs for me, especially this track.

Blessed- Wycliffe Gordon
I first heard trombonist Wycliffe Gordon in New Orleans and I became a fan immediately. This song is a simple beauty and it features Gordon on piano.

Little Bit Of Love- Free
One of those random songs that popped up in my head.

Lights Out- Jerry Byrne
This is here courtesy of the iPod shuffle. It was the first time I had heard it and it knocked me out. It's Little Richard on Red Bull.

Try & Stop Me- The Creation
Many know "Making Time." This is the B Side.

By This River- Brian Eno
A fine way to close things out.

5 comments:

dogbreath said...

Been playing the Free At Last album in the car this past week & Little Bit of Love is a right royal favourite. Not familiar with Jerry Byrne's stuff but you had me with the strapline - Little Richard on Red Bull. Thanks for posting. Cheers!

heartsofstone said...

Great mix - agree with you entirely about Eric Carmen's first solo disc.

Anonymous said...

Free at Last is my favorite of their albums, tho it didn't spawn any big hits. I rediscovered Andy Fraser's solo albums last year (the first one with the silver cover is the most Free-like; after that he went r&b). It crushed me to learn that Free had essentially broken up before Free at Last, and Fraser described making it as "painful."

A walk in the woods said...

Always looks forward to these.

Steven said...

I was lucky enough to experience a Raspberries reunion show in the mid-oughties...
during the show, Eric Carmen said nearly every song on his solo debut record was written with for another Raspberries record...even years later, it was clear he harbored some disappointment and sadness over how the Rasperries fell apart...