Tuesday, July 16, 2019




CHATBOX

cmealha:
Is Brittany Howard's "History Repeats" as good as I think it is?

burningwood:
Yes.


I am no fan of Alabama Shakes. I liked the idea of Alabama Shakes. But their records tried too hard and I wasn't sold. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.  Know what I mean?

Yet this first solo single from Brittany Howard, the Shakes singer and guitarist knocked me out. A smart 3 minutes of record making that is Prince and Sly Stone meets Captain Beefheart.

Full length is out in September, and I can only hope there's more where this came from.




3 comments:

cmealha said...

I keep listening to this. At first I was undecided because the vocals were so off-filter for the first part of the song but the groove can't be denied. I'm loving it. Just needed vindication.

Troy said...

I agree with you on AS. Just can't get into them. And this song didn't do anything for me either. I'll give it another try at some point, but it doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

I'm not sure if it was related to my reaction or not, but I heard this song right after hearing the new Wilco song. I loved Wilco's first three albums, but then they became (my opinion only!) a pretentious art rock band. The new song was different though, a bit of fresh air. Not sure if that impacted my mindset before clicking on this BH song.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I like The Shakes second album, it's better than the first. And this is better than that. She's the whole point of the band anyway.