Thursday, July 18, 2019

Alice Clark




Maybe some of you have heard of Alice Clark. Brooklyn born, released one record for the Mainstream label in 1972, then disappeared. She died in 2004. I myself, knew nothing of Alice Clark until my friend hipped me to a review of a new reissue of that only album, in a recent Mojo magazine that was, in a word, glowing. Miss Clark has some terrific guys backing her including Cornell Dupree and Bernard Purdie among others. So I was indeed interested. I finally got around to listening to "Alice Clark" and I think you should, as well.

The music on this record is not your standard brand of R&B and the quality of Miss Clark's voice is not your standard brand of soul belter. There is a powerful sadness in her delivery, that is a cross between Dionne Warwick and Laura Nyro, and both the music and arrangements take a slighly different path than some of the popular records of the time. The opening cut, "I Keep It Hid" is a Jimmy Webb tune and it is a powerhouse.

Give Alice Clark a spin. I bet you'll dig it.











8 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

She sounds a little like Diana Ross with Al Green's production. I love records like this.

Troy said...

Outstanding, especially the first track. I definitely hear the Dionne Warwick-like vocals in there. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

sweet

FD13NYC said...

Yes! This is good!

Neilantman said...

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2019/07/17/alice-clark-s-t/

Keith said...

Good shout Sal! The release mentioned ( her complete recordings) is out on Ace Records here in the UK at just £11.50 (about $14) post free in UK ! Definite purchase, added to my list, thanks pal

kodak ghost said...

I know this is late, but I have just listened to this on good headphones..... who is the bass player? He/she is outstanding. The others are great too, but I keep hearing these amazing bass lines!

Sal Nunziato said...

Kodak Ghost,
I am pretty sure Chuck Rainey is on some of the tracks, but I thought I had read there were three bass players for the sessions. There are no musicians credits on the album.