Friday, July 5, 2019

"Off The Shelves 4": THE WEEKEND MIX





The following text is from the first "Off The Shelves" post back in 2012.

I'm tired of listening to music I don't like.

Can you relate?

Let me explain.

This isn't a case of, "Listen to Bon Iver or we will shoot this puppy." I am not being forced to endure hours of unpleasant music by some rogue hipsters with guns. But, I do find myself wanting to experience the sounds of what's new, what's hot and what's not The Beatles and The Stones. Sadly, a lot of that time is wasted. I'm rarely impressed. And at the risk of sounding like the "Hey you kids, get off my lawn!" guy, I'm not looking for the next Beatles or the next Stones. But damn, sometimes I can't even find the next INXS.

This is not intended to be another rant on the state of music today. But, it is my way of saying that I get more satisfaction out of the same old same old, even when I do stumble onto something new and exciting.  I get so wrapped up in all I "need" to listen to, I forget how much I simply "want" to listen to.

The mix is called "Off The Shelves" for two reasons.

Back in the merry ol' days of retail, my personal CD collection became unruly. I owned everything by everyone because it was easy. Then came the days to weed it all out. I'd find the discs that offered one or two amazing tracks, "record" them, and remove the CDs "off the shelves" permanently.

The other reason?

I have few memories as great as being a kid and pulling records "off the shelves," with that imaginary audience tuning into my own private radio station. That was when I played nothing but what I loved. I only had what I loved. It was easy. That was when music sounded best. My hand dropping the needle on Track 3, Side Two of "Quadrophenia" was never so steady.

Here's a mix of some tunes I pulled "off the shelves." I made a conscious effort to stay away from The Beatles and The Stones, and even The INXS.




TRACKLIST
I Don't Need No Doctor- Nick Ashford
Just Couldn't Wait- Grand Funk
The Summer Of Last Year- The Pyramid
Did You No Wrong- Sex Pistols
Everything- The Orlons
Three Too Many- Gary Louis
Two Hearts (Acoustic)- Bruce Springsteen
Second Hand Dealer- The Searchers
Low Dow Man- Squirrel Nut Zippers
I Wonder If She Remembers Me- The McCoys
Bottomless Love- Holly Cole
It's Up To You- The Moody Blues
It's Love That Really Counts- The Shirelles
21st Century Gyspsy Singing Lovin' Man- Taj Mahal
Common People- William Shatner & Joe Jackson

zip

SOME NOTES:

Nick Ashford starts things off with his composition and the original 1966 version of a song we all know by Humble Pie, not to mention Ray Charles. Ashford's is one of only four solo singles he released before adding Simpson. The rest is his/herstory.

Grand Funk produced by Frank Zappa. What the...?!! Yep, and it's a great pop tune. Sadly, the only good tune off that Zappa produced album. If there's another and you know it, please tell me.

There are four songs here--The Orlons, The Shirelles, The McCoys and The Searchers---proving that a number of bands from the 60's go far deeper than the one or two hit singles we all know and love.

I know nothing about The Pyramid except my bud Sal Maida played this sunshine pop track on his Spin Cycle radio show and I loved it ever since.

The Sex Pistols track is a b-side and it's arguably better than anything on the record...though I do lurve "Never Mind The Bollocks," so that is saying a lot.

The Gary Louris track channels McGuinn and The Byrds. It's a bonus track from a recently expanded "Vagabonds."

Bruce's acoustic "Two Hearts" is one of those tracks from "The River" that I took for granted. Then I heard this version, paid attention to the lyrics...which are in English (see Tuesday's post and comments)...and "Two Hearts" had a brand new life.

Remember when the Squirrels But Zippers were all that? I was into them for about 4:17, which is the length of "Low Down Man," probably the best thing they ever did.

I should have checked previous "Off The Shelves" posts to see what I had already zipped up. I didn't, and so this Moody Blues track makes another appearance. The good news is, I still love this track even though The Moodies themselves still remain a band I just don't care for. (I am coming around a bit.) And, it is the ONLY repeat.

I had a crush on Holly Cole for a few years in the 90's. I even bought Japanese pressings of her CDs, for the bonus tracks, which is how I discovered "Bottomless Love."

"21st Century Gypsy Singing Lovin' Man" is a song written by one of my very favorite New Orleans (via the U.K.) artists, Jon Cleary. This song first appeared on a Taj Mahal record, and to me, it is a perfect performance captured with perfect record making. It never fails to catch me off guard as it builds to its finale. Cleary finally covered it himself on his most recent release, "Dyna-Mite," but I think Taj takes the cake with this version. An emotional powerhouse.

Ben Folds annoys the hell out of me. But bless his heart and mind for this genius collaboration---William Shatner and Joe Jackson covering Jarvis Cocker's "Common People."

ENJOY!
Feedback is always welcome.


8 comments:

Shriner said...

English lyrics? I'm all in, then! :-)

(I feel I should expound on my non-English lyrics avoidance at some point -- but I haven't quite coalesced on it beyond the feeling that a non-English sung vocal line comes across as an out-of-tune instrument to me...or something like that...but that's for another day/thread...)

Anonymous said...

I prefer "Pass It Around" with it's American Band-style Farner vocal; I wouldn't be able to guess "Just Couldn't Wait" was Grand Funk in a million years. you're right, tho - everything on that album ignores what GF was.

JAYESSEMM said...

Very nice Sal -- Thank You!

At the risk of dissing my countryman ... I dig the William Shatner Common People but when he goes full album I have some issues :-)

Far more important; maybe eight years ago you posted the Taj Mahal on something called "Sal's Saturday 6-Pack #1" . Since then I've worn the bits and bytes off that digital file and having appropriated your 6-Pack idea I'm approaching Jayessemm Sixpack 400 and counting!

Have a great weekend one and all.

FD13NYC said...

Great notes, I'm with you wholeheartedly and all the way on what you wrote. We together a long way back discovered, bought and listened to some pretty great music. For these past years I'm on countless blogs and Facebook pages trying to discover new, new/old and just old music I've never heard before. The process seems to work and could be very fulfilling some of the time. But let's face it, we know and have our many favorites branded in our heads. And more often then not I go back to those faves, it brings me joy and puts a smile on my face or a tear in my eyes. That's what the cultivation of listening to music all these years has done for me. And I, like you, are proud of that.

bing stills said...

Thanks for the mix, Sal. Not a big fan of the Moody Blues either, but one song I do like "Ride My See-Saw". Some tasty guitar in that one.

rick said...

I once did a search for The Moody Blues on your blog and found...not much. Concluded: 'he no like very much'. I've long been a big fan of Justin Hayward, his compositions, his voice; the rest of the group, not so much.

dogbreath said...

Nice one! My comment on the SOTW zip about The Moody Blues belongs here but who's counting? Great mix - Capt Kirk crooning away, the Pistols, the Searchers, the McCoys, plus the aforesaid Moodies. What's not to like? Cheers!

Bill said...

That Shatner cover is one of may all-time favorite covers. Thanks for including!