Sunday, July 7, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 6/29-7/5



One Of Those Days- Adrian Belew
You Tell Me Why- Beau Brummels
Life Will Pass You By- Kaleidoscope
Bessie Smith- The Band
We'll Build A House- Martin Newell & Andy Partridge
Heart Of Mine (Live)- Bob Dylan
Life On Mars- David Bowie

zip

One Of Those Days- Adrian Belew
Adrian Belew's newest, "Pop Sided" is just one more in a long series of excellent releases from the man. On a binge, I got stuck on "Mr. Music Head" and this one in particular.

You Tell Me Why- Beau Brummels
I have a friend who swears by this band. Like I periodically try with the Moody Blues, I do the same with the Beau Brummels. This track is one of the few I truly love and I happen to notice it while I was scrolling for the Belew track.

Life Will Pass You By- Kaleidsocope
The "Bacon From Mars" collection was in a recent LP collection I picked up. Too many great songs to choose from with this brilliant band. I went with this.

Bessie Smith-The Band
Someone pointed out the overproduction of The Band's "Cahoots" on the recent post about production. I thought, "But how great is Bessie Smith?" I has forgotten that it was a CD bonus track.

We'll Build A House- Martin Newell & Andy Partridge
If you do not own "The Greatest Living Englishman," what are you waiting for? This Martin Newell record produced by Andy Partridge is as good as English pop music gets and this track is a gem with a short but tasty guitar solo by Partridge himself.

Heart Of Mine (Live)- Bob Dylan
This one popped up on shuffle. Originally from my favorite Dylan album no one ever mentions, "Shot Of Love." This version is from "Biograph."

Life On Mars- David Bowie
Why not?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll go beyond merely saying thanks for these comps. I rarely keep anything on 'em, either because I already have 'em (as with the Bowie and Zimmy cuts this week), or because faves of yours are not my cup o' meat (XTC, Rundgren), but I ALWAYS appreciate your sharing and, as importantly, your reasoning for their inclusion. If I had a dime for everything I've passed on that I've borrowed or was offered by fellow music lovers, I'd be a rich man, indeed; yet I do not regret hearing what had been unknown to me before, as I am seemingly insatiable when it comes to listening and always seeking to hear more. And you've turned me on to much I do like, which is among the highest of compliments. Maybe when I hear the Partridge tune in this week's comp I'll finally get it!
C in California

dogbreath said...

Blimey! I'd just re-watched the 50's film "Beau Brummell" starring Stewart Granger & Liz Taylor and this SOTW zippy features the Beau Brummels who I've always quite liked. Coincidence? I don't think so. (Think again - Ed). And I used to sneer at The Moody Blues until a young lady I fancied turned out to be fan (ah, the things we do for love!) and now they're a happy guilty pleasure. Many thanks for posting.

Tad Richards said...

Abide With Me, Thelonious Monk

Anonymous said...

OK, so it turns out I also already had the Belew tune and "Bessie Smith" (Basement Tapes version, not Cahoots version). Still, thanks again for the post.
C in California
PS I can't even begin to respond to your "2 minutes or less" post. Too many good'uns.