Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Deep Cut Six Pack Volume Four: Daryl Hall & John Oates



This week's Deep Cut Six Pack features the biggest selling singing duo in music history, Mouth & Macneil. NO! No. I kid. The honor belongs to Daryl Hall & John Oates, who earned that honor due to the success of their 80's material. But it was their 70's material that made a lifelong fan out of me. My friend Chris Church posted "August Day" on this August day, and a few Facebook comments agreeing with its beauty later, and this Six Pack was born.

We've got four from the pre-MTV era--one from 1974's, Todd Rundgren-produced "War Babies," two from 1978's "Along The Red Ledge," which a) both might be Daryl's shining hours as a vocalist and b) may be the only record in history to boast having George Harrison, Rick Nielsen, Todd Rundgren, Dick Wagner and Robert Fripp on board, and a John Oates track from 1979's "X-Static." There's a deep cut from the blockbuster "Private Eyes" and a track, from what I feel is Daryl & John's best, their most adult pop record, 1991's "Change Of Season."

Get dat got dang "Maneater" crap outta yer head and try this Six Pack on for size. It's good for ya.

TRACKLIST
Head Above Water
Sometimes A Mind Changes
Have I Been Away Too Long
All You Want Is Heaven
70's Scenario
August Day

zip

Six Pack One: Squeeze

Six Pack Two: XTC

Six Pack Three: The Hollies

12 comments:

pp said...

I think that's harmonica guy Toots Thielemans that you had mentioned in a past post. Toots died three years ago on August 22. Talking about melancholy, the song August Day defines it.

Sal Nunziato said...

@PP,
For years I thought it was Toots on harmonica, but he is not credited on album, whereas Les Thompson is.

cmealha said...

"All You Want Is Heaven" and "August Day" alone are worth the price of admission. Good selection.

ken49 said...

I am getting a real kick of enjoyment out of these six packs. You have been choosing some enticing but off the radar tracks. Even groups I am real familiar with have a couple of surprises. I had to add a couple of your previously mentioned Hall & Oates songs, Getaway Car and Someday We'll Know to make an eight pack. Keep them coming! My recommendation would be G W Mclennan of Go Betweens and solo career. Just now listening to The Rails and liking there new release's first 6 songs.

Chris Collins said...

Love Hall and Oates and I love this series.

soundsource said...

now that is some deep cut shit, nice

A walk in the woods said...

I'm impressed.... I'm a huge H&O fan, and somehow I have completely missed the first four cuts here, after 40+ years of listening. Thanks for this mix!

Dave said...

A great alternate vocal on “August Day.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvw536UaLw

Dave F.

Michael Giltz said...

I can't believe you kept Hall & Oates to a six pack, knowing your passion. I thought you'd have to do a 12 pack or a case! Great show of discipline. Looking forward to listening to it....

Sal Nunziato said...

@Michael Giltz
My feeling is, no one will listen to a 12-pack. They might listen to a 6 pack.

Michael Giltz said...

Six pack is a great concept! But our favorite acts make that a hard, hard self-imposed limit. And "Change Of Season" is your favorite H&O album? I have always gravitated to Abandoned Luncheonette and will have to give that a new listen....

Ideal concert: Daryl opens with complete sacred Songs; John comes out and they do Abandoned Luncheonette; Break and then they come back and pile on the hits.

Unknown said...

The harmonica on August Day is masterful and I can't believe that anyone but a virtuoso player could pull it off. I can't find any reference that Les Thompson plays harmonica. I have always felt it was Toots Thielemans, (the G.O.A.T.)