Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Extraordinarily Nice



I discovered Queen through Circus Magazine around the time "Sheer Heart Attack" was released in 1974. I bought the record on the strength of the single "Killer Queen," and as a young kid just discovering music that wasn't The Beatles, was mesmerized by the exotic voices and guitars found throughout. Next up was "A Night At The Opera," and a vivid memory of lying in a giant beanbag chair listening to all of Side Two being played on WNEW-FM, a not-so-uncommon practice for FM radio back then. My uncle's friends who became my friends, took me to see Queen at the Beacon Theatre in 1976, and from that moment through 1980, there was no band I loved more.

I've seen Queen with Freddie Mercury a half dozen times, and my memory of the details of those shows is weak, other than disappointment. I know I loved being there, but I was never a fan of medleys, which the band often resorted to, and Freddie, never quite hit that high register from the records. Even many years later, when it was easy to find bootleg CDs of just about every performance, no one show ever stood out as amazing. I accepted the fact that Queen was a studio band and live, they simply did the best they could with what they had, and for my tastes, that usually meant rarely playing the songs I loved, or playing only the portions of them that could be replicated on stage.

Queen's self-titled debut record through "News Of The World," are six very important records for me, and arguably, six very important records in all of rock music. And though every record, right through the very last release, "Made In Heaven," which was pieced together from existing Freddie demos and unfinished tracks, has a gem or three, most of what is found on those post-1982 records is a far cry from the band's initial mission statement. To say I gave up after 1980's "The Game," is an understatement. I despised "Hot Space," even though I did see them on that tour, and each subsequent release, found the band seemingly catering to Freddie Mercury's musical whims, drifting further and further away from the classic Queen sound I loved so much.

Then came the movie.

"Bohemian Rhapsody," love it or hate it, changed it all. Not just for me, but for many. The loss hit me like a horse kick to the chest. I began craving the music that once left me cold, even angry. Queen was a different band from 1982 to 1991. Not an inferior band. A different band.

"BoRhap made me want to see more live Queen footage and listen to more live Queen music. And doing so, made me realize, that they were not only a good live band, but when Freddie Mercury was on, an amazing live band.

The "Live-Aid" performance is the one for the books, and by now, anyone with even a modicum of interest in the band will have seen it. But the footage up top is from a concert film titled "Queen On Fire: Live at the Bowl," recorded in Milton Keynes in 1982. It was released in 2004, and it has managed to stay off my radar until this week. I am guessing it has something to do with my not caring for past live performances, so I had no reason to seek it out.  The version of "Somebody To Love" in a word, floored me.

(If you're still with me, thank you.)

The clips below are from another concert film, "Queen Rocks Montreal." It was recorded in 1981, and it was the dividing line between old and new Queen, or as the liner notes on the triple-LP state, the last performance of "raw Queen," which essentially means, just the four of them. The band's next tour, and all tours to follow until the end, would feature synth players, keyboardists and additional backing vocals, either live or on tape. "Montreal" just might be the band at its best, though I've yet to see the entire Milton Keynes performance.

I don't think I imagined the rough edges in earlier live performances of the band. But I do think I went into those concerts expecting one thing and as it most surely happens in all walks of life, when you expect one thing, you will find disappointment when getting another thing. In retrospect, I probably saw six terrific Queen shows. In retrospect, I am positive, Freddie Mercury was on fire for all of them and I only wish my memory was just a bit more vivid regarding that.

As for Queen, I don't expect this will change your mind if you're just not interested. I suspect you'll view a bit of these clips, if I am lucky, and then move on. But if you've been a long time fan of the band, take a look. There is something here, that even a long time fan like myself, only just discovered. It's wonderful.






12 comments:

steve simels said...

I saw them live when they were touring the first album, which I liked but didn't love, and they were appallingly awful. They got better as a live band, obviously, but they were really so awful when I saw them I couldn't even listen to the subsequent records, with the exception of "Under Pressure," "Someone to Love," and "Hammer to Fall."

The movie, however, turned me into a raving fan. Go figure.

Troy said...

I remember watching Queen Rock Montreal on one of the music TV stations late one night. Was a very entertaining show. The clips you shared are pretty great, especially Save Me (from my favorite Queen album).

kevin m said...

Sal - curious to know your thoughts about Queen touring w/ Adam Lambert. Not my cup of java but a bunch of my co-workers went to the MSG show and loved it.

Sal Nunziato said...

I think Lambert is amazing. Clearly his own type of flamboyant, a different animal than Freddie, but really terrific. He nails some of those vocals Freddie couldn't even reach live himself.

cmealha said...

I got into them a bit earlier, when there first album came out. I always remember them being fantastic, although Freddie many times didn't go for the high notes that were on the albums, especially after the mustache. Roger Taylor's incredibly high range always impressed and always amazed me as did Brian's playing. I understand a bit what you're saying, especially when they had to rely on tapes for Bohemian Rhapsody, but I don't ever remember being disappointed.

Michael Giltz said...

I stayed glued to the TV all day watching Live Aid and it was pretty ho-hum in London until early afternoon when oh my god Queen came on and I felt the electricity all the way in South Florida and that was just the godawful "Radio Gaga." Now THAT'S showmanship.

Crafted Nouns said...

On the Rock Montreal dvd commentary, Roger Taylor describes Freddie's vocal on 'Save Me' as one of his greatest and I suppose he should know. An extremely revealing concert, with the band displaying an energy and range that is quite wonderful - there is footage on YouTube of a vocal coach and opera singer from the Netherlands commenting on Freddie's vocals on the Montreal version of 'Somebody To Love' which is well worth digging out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pTyOgwpqt8&t=5s

Ken D said...

We have an odd dynamic in my household. I've never cared for Queen. But my 16-year-old son is a big fan. (I guess making a Spotify playlist qualifies one as a "big fan" nowadays.) We both liked the movie and I admit, it made me a bit less skeptical.
The Montreal concert is available on disc from Netflix so that'll likely be the next chapter of our ongoing debate... thanks for the tip.

heartsofstone said...

My Queen journey tracks yours almost exactly. First connection was Circus mag (Queen II - still my favorite), WNEW and the Beacon show. Always was astonished by Roger's background vocals live.

Softshoebanana said...

Totally agree with the medley bit....bloody annoying. I must admit that i was losing interest with NOTW...just didn't cut the mustard. Up until that point all their albums were, and still are, classics...especially, christ I was going to try and claim one was better than the other but the first 5 were equally fantastic.
We were lucky enough to see the 1975 Xmas gig on BBC2 and it was evident then that they were a f*****g magnificent live band.

Troy said...

Just throwing a little love out there for Circus magazine. In the late 70s - early 80s, I had a subscription and for a music loving kid in Jr High/ High school, it was essential reading. Great memories.

Chris Collins said...

I was a kid during the 80's queen and LOVED them. And i was a teenager when I discovered 70s Queen. I agree that, ultimately, they are just different bands. I have such affection for 80s Queen that it's hard for me to be objective.

But here's a weird thing- the movie made me like the band LESS. I'm still wrestling with why