Saturday, August 24, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 8/17-8/23



Fireball- Deep Purple
Daybreaker- Electric Light Orchestra
That Woman's Got Me Drinking- Shane MacGowan & The Popes
From The Underworld- The Herd
West Of Bald Knob- Marshall Crenshaw
El Orangutan- The Iguanas
Patchouli- Squeeze

zip

Fireball- Deep Purple
This track came up in conversation recently with a fellow drummer. We were discussing the great Ian Paice, of course. You could make a mix of "Songs With Great Intros" and Deep Purple would have at least a dozen tracks on it, including this one.

Daybreaker- Electric Light Orchestra
"On The Third Day" was my favorite ELO record for a long time. It was knocked out of the top spot by "Zoom," an unlikely choice, I know. Jeff Lynne pretty much disowned "Zoom." Still don't get that. But I digress. "Daybreaker" opens Side Two of "On The Third Day," which I listened to for the first time in ages.

That Woman's Got Me Drinking- Shane MacGowan & The Popes
"The Snake" was a friend's "Album Of The Day" recently. Her post made me want to hear it and this track stood out.

From The Underworld- The Herd
A teenage Peter Frampton and a great slice of psych pop. Can't recall why I thought about this tune.

West Of Bald Knob- Marshall Crenshaw
This beauty popped up on shuffle and I hadn't recognized it. I thought about who it might be as it played, and Marshall Crenshaw was not even in the running. The man is one underrated guitar player.

El Orangutan- The Iguanas
One of my very favorite bands from New Orleans and another reminder courtesy of a long train and the trusty iPod.

Patchouli- Squeeze
Still not finished with my Squeeze binge, and their most recent "The Knowledge," has been getting my attention again. This album didn't kill me upon its release, but it is getting to me now, including this great track.


10 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Thanks for this, Sal!

hpunch said...

I"m happy to hear you're coming around to The Knowledge

Anonymous said...

My older sis got On The Third Day when it came out and I made fun of it as pretentious and boring. I was wrong and she was right (altho she got it only for Showdown). I made fun of my oldest brother's Jethro Tull albums as boring and pretentious. On The Third Day is the only ELO album I own that isn't a hits collection, and I still love its weird mix of Beatles and leaden drums and...geez, everything else Lynne threw into the mix (I had to play ELO's In The Hall Of The Mountain King for my littl'uns after I played the classical version of it for them and they loved it). And I count those early JT albums as exceptional, and Thick As A Brick as one of my all-time favorite albums after a midnight play with pot smoke swirling about my 11-year-old ears while half-awake. To my brother's credit, he in return came to agree (over a long time, much longer than it took me to see that JT was great) that T Rex 1970-1973 ruled (Tanx is up top of that list with TAAB, too).
C in California

Whattawino said...

Ah yes, Fireball....Fantastic piece of work, that! Saw DP live for this album and they were on fire. All members wailing away and taking the house with them. Both Ian’s were super Bad-ass musicians .....one, a drummer that mesmerized with speed, dexterity, and tasty fills to die for and the other commanding vocal chops that sent your head spinning and your gut clenching in exhilaration. A helluva show!

dogbreath said...

Played a lot of Frampton after the announcement of his illness & this Herd track was always a favourite. Many thanks for another worthy SOTW with the muscular Fireball and a minty Squeeze tune topping & tailing things. Cheers!

kevin m said...

Saw Squeeze last night at Pier 17. Always a good show. Just wished that Marshall Crenshaw had opened as he's doing on other dates during their tour

elroy said...

Total agreement on Marshall's guitar playing. I tend to enjoy his intrumentals as much as his songs with vocals. His guitar work in concert is just perfect for his songs. Understated but lots of nice touches.

Bill said...

Patchouli is a standout track on the Knowledge. Just saw them in Asbury Park on Thursday, and it was a great show with a nicely varied setlist. We didn't get to see Patchouli, but they have been playing it at other dates on the tour. I played their Cradle to the Grave album a couple of times in the lead to the show, and that's a really strong comeback album. The title track is a top ten Squeeze song for me.

Slidewell said...

'On the Third Day' and 'Zoom'. I concur! They got too poppy for my taste after 'Eldorado'. And 'Zoom' was such a great return to form! Great tunes on that one, and it was only months later I realized that there's practically no strings on it, yet, it still totally feels like classic ELO. Odd to hear that Lynne has disowned 'Zoom'. Production, etc., is pretty much just like 'Alone In the Universe', IMO. (Which I enjoy as well)

Sal Nunziato said...

@Slidewell
I have a theory about Jeff's disownment of "Zoom." That tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. The album disappeared. I think it was the wrong time for it. Wondering if it isn't jiust the album, but the whole period that Jeff would like to forget.