Thursday, September 12, 2019

Now Playing



When I was a kid, I documented everything. I'd get your standard black composition tablet and write it all down. Lists upon lists of everything from what TV shows I had watched, to what I had for lunch, to my favorite actors. I'd bring a smaller version to concerts and write down setlists. I'd keep track of every 45 I played and every song I heard on the radio. I was never a "cowboys and indians" kid. With my friends, it was all baseball, music, movies and TV, and I wasn't the only one who had to write it all down. Many of us did, and some still do. I still find it appealing, though now, I am lazier and older and who needs one more thing to do.

Some time in the early 90's, I started documenting every live show, with notes. It's hard to believe how often I went out. Some weeks, I would have seen 4-5 shows. It was easier then. Concerts were cheaper. I was younger. There were more clubs. I had more money. I wish I still had *that* notebook.

I listen to music every day, all day. It's on when I am working, when I am cooking, sometimes when I am reading, though that depends on what I am reading. Oddly enough, I can't listen to music when I am writing and I can't listen to something new unless that is all I am doing. I don't listen to music in the morning, when I am having coffee, and while I used to enjoy having music on in the background with dinner, I prefer eating all meals in silence. Still, I get in a lot of listening on a daily basis. I couldn't have it any other way.

So, as I slowly recovered yesterday, recumbent, hacking and sneezing, throwing my knees into the air with each honk, desperately trying to avoid another back injury, I began jotting down my playlist. It was a fun exercise. It took me back to 1974, and it kept me occupied while unable to muster the energy to stand upright. I decided I wanted to do this everyday.


"Now Playing" is now a public blog, which you can access by clicking the link in the "Now Playing" box. There is a "Read More" link on the bottom right of the first post, something I don't recall ever seeing on Burning Wood. You'll need to click that if you want to "read more."

This blog has no bells and whistles, at least not yet. It was not created because I think everyone needs to know what I listen to everyday. It's for me, a simple pleasure, a way for me to takes notes, inspire ideas for future posts, and put down in print, just how many times I listen to "The Who Sell Out" in any given week. There will be random notes that may or may not make sense. Again, this is for me. But, I do think it can be fun for you, as well.

Thanks again for the well wishes, the donations to keep all of this going another year and for the continued support.

Comments will be open on "Now Playing," because something I am listening to might inspire you, and because any discussion about music is welcome.  


4 comments:

Whattawino said...

Do NOT listen to “Rag Momma Rag” today! Feel better! Loved the post....but it made me feel listless!

Shriner said...

I thought about doing something like this because I'm starting to forget if I've listened to a "new" album or not. I've found myself rereading some books because I didn't remember if I read them ("Hey, there's a new John Irving at the library!" -- 40 pages into it -- "This seems familiar...oh yeah...I didn't finish it because it sucked...")

I don't think I'm getting old, but my head has too much clutter in it that will never shake out (like remembering what issue of The Avengers introduced what new character, etc...)

kodak ghost said...

Interesting comments on your changes in listening habits. They very much mirror my own. I used to buy an LP, cart it home and just listen (nothing else.. except inhale the liner notes). Now I have music on driving, travelling, cooking, gardening.... perhaps that's why a lot of new music does not stick... I will be following the new blog with interest! Get well soon...

Michael Giltz said...

I am envious of your obsessive list-making as a kid. How I wish I had a list of the books I read, movies and tv I saw and albums I listened to from an early age. And of course you can't listen to new music while doing other things. It's NEW -- it can't stay in the background because you've never heard it before. What would be the point of putting on something new and then trying to keep it in the background while doing something else? You wouldn't know what you thought of it and would have to listen again. The only thing i can do while listening to new music is drive a car, but that's an entirely different beast from distracting myself with other stuff. Get better!