Friday, September 13, 2019

"What You Talking 'Bout? You Say You Don't Like the Reggae Beat?": THE WEEKEND MIX



"You must be craa--aa-aa-aa-aa-zaay."

The title of the post and the line above, come from the lyrics to a song by Rico. I wouldn't call anyone crazy for not being a fan of reggae music. If it doesn't move you, it doesn't move you. But I will argue with anyone who dismisses this music with the old stand by, "It all sounds the same." It's unfair and untrue. It does not all sound the same anymore than all rock, soul, jazz or blues sounds the same. All Dawes songs sound the same. But I digress.

I've been wanting to put this together for some time, but always chicken out. Eleven years worth of posts and comments has taught me a few things. I don't have a lot of readers who are fans of heavy metal, Nine Inch Nails, whose killer Adam Ant cover is featured today, Todd Rundgren and reggae music. If I am wrong, let's see those positive comments on today's mix.

I thought about easing into this mix with a Six Pack. I have a sneaky feeling that many of you might only give this mix six songs. That's if I'm lucky. But I decided to go all in.  And I hope you go all in, as well.

TRACKLIST
Screaming Target- Big Youth
Freedom Street- Ken Boothe
Darker Shade Of Black- Willie Lindo
Rudy, A Message To You- Dandy Livingstone
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face- Marcia Griffiths
Double Barrel- Dave & Ansel Collins
Dr. Lester- The Maytals
I Should Have Known Better- The Skatalites
The Same Things- The Gaylads
Two Sevens Clash- Culture
Heptones Gonna Fight- The Heptones
Al Capone- Prince Buster
Police & Thieves- Junior Murvin
Where Do The Children Play- Horace Andy
French Connection- Lee Perry & The Upsetters
Take Me- Roland Alphonso
Handsworth Revolution- Steel Pulse
Run Dem Down- Wailing Souls
Psychedelic Island- Rico Rodriguez
Rivers Of Babylon- Wingless Angels

zip

10 comments:

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for this, Sal. I’m a fan of all things BW to include NiN, Rundgren, reggae, and some heavy metal. The new ‘Now Playing’ is pure brilliance - spent some time yesterday listening to Aerosmith based upon your ‘Guilty Kilt’ play; unfamiliar with that song and its history. You continue to make music a fun, exciting journey. Thanks for everything you do, sir!

Ken D said...

Izay, go fer it, mon.
I like reggae a lot. Especially a reggae mix. I probably have as many reggae compliations as albums by individual artists. But I'll admit I don't so much "listen" to reggae as put it on while doing other things. A reggae mix is perfect at the gym or during lunch or in the background while working.
So many thanks for this. You picked some titles and artists unfamiliar to me. (One downside of some reggae compilations is including the same old chestnuts time after time...)

Anonymous said...

...nor Queen, nor XTC, nor Lemon Twigs...but I don't visit daily because we have the same tastes. I visit because I love the writing, the passion, the introduction to previously unknowns, the validations of what we do like in common (old ska/bluebeat/reggae, Beatles, etc). I have some metal, some XTC, some Queen, a couple Rundgren things, all stuff I already had before reading BW (Yes, I discovered stuff I liked on your Queen comp earlier this year, so added those tunes to my paltry Queen collection). I'd wager you're not the fan of X or Billy Childish or Slim Harpo that I am, but I already know about that stuff, so want to hear/see what you have to say about what moves you. So, I say, take those chances and post what you wanna.
C in California

Anonymous said...

yea on Rundgren and heavy metal. whenever i'm going down youtube rabbit holes with anybody, eventually I get to around to asking, "Have you ever seen Todd on Live at Daryl's House?" or "Ever seen the video for "'Me and My Wine'?" NIN is my sister's wheelhouse, so I just forward that stuff to her.

Sal Nunziato said...

@C In California

I LOVE the first three X records, I think Slim Harpo is insanely good, with both "Rainin' In My Heart" and I"m Your Breadmaker" being two of my favorite records by anyone, and I don't think I have ever heard a note of Billy Childish's music.

Thanks for your comments. I truly appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

Well, I knew you liked X, because they've come up here. I figured, being a fan of southern bluesy things, you'd like Slim. And I figured Billy Childish had flown under your radar (and that of most folks who aren't tuned into garage like others of us are). My point was that even tho I love all this stuff a lot -- including X's 4th album! -- I'm glad you too have an affinity for some of it but even if you didn't, I would still want to know from you why I should give a listen to Lemon Twigs, XTC, etc.
I'm looking forward to that reggae mix!
C in California

rick said...

Hi Sal,
I'm Rick from Germany.
I came upon your Burning Wood Blog totally by chance.
You really pour a lot of work, knowledge and enthusiasm into it
and I enjoy every page of it, whatever your musical focus.
Greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.
All the best from Germany, to you and all your relations.

rick

Michael Giltz said...

I thought being a fan of Todd Rundgren was a REQUIREMENT for Burning Wood fans! (I know, all we really need is an open mind.) I had NO IDEA you ever gave reggae a second thought so excited to check this compilation out. I am down for reggae but don't know the genre well, so this is welcome indeed.

kodak ghost said...

Not a fan of Heavy Metal, and (since reading this blog over a few years) working on admiring Todd... but Reggae... the sound of my youth. I grew up in Birmingham (UK), and these were the sounds from certain areas of town where you had to go to buy good music magazines, herbal products and cool clothes... Some real deep cuts here. Well done. Pass the Kutchie on the left hand side.

Art58Koen said...

Greetings from Thailand. I check your blog from time to time despite being not a fan of Todd R. ;-)
Anyway I usually enjoy reading your posts and am listening now to the reggae mix, excellent!