Sunday, July 5, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 6/27-7/3






Ordinary Girl- Mike & The Mechanics
No Religion- Van Morrison
Me Just Purely- Brendan Benson
Call Me Mellow- Tears For Fears
Growing Up (Trent Reznor Remix)- Peter Gabriel
Meteor Shower- Rhett Miller
Another World- World Party




Ordinary Girl- Mike & The Mechanic
There is a fantastic 3 CD or 2 LP set covering Paul Carrack's career with everyone from Ace and Squeeze to Mike & The Mechanics and various side projects and guests spot. It's called "Collected,"and amazingly this wonderful single is not on it. FAIL!

No Religion- Van Morrison
I would not be lying if I said "No Religion" is one of my five favorite Van tracks. It is also on one of five Van records nearly impossible to track down on vinyl for less than $100. Anyone have a vinyl copy of "Days Like This" they'd like to give up? Let me know. I'll pay shipping. :)

Me Just Purely- Brendan Benson
Benson's excellent new record "Dear Life" inspired me to go back and listen to his excellent debut, "One Mississippi." That's where you'll find this song.

Call Me Mellow- Tears For Fears
And speaking of favorite albums, TFF's "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" is mine, by them. (Is that good English? Not sure, me.) But yes, this "comeback" was solid from head to tail, and this pop gem is a perfect three and a half minutes. Someone find me the vinyl on this baby! I'll pay shipping. :)

Growing Up (Trent Reznor Remix)- Peter Gabriel
About as close as you'll get to a Gabriel/Nine Inch Nails collaboration. Just discovered this on a digital only set of Gabriel stray tracks called "Flotsam & Jetsam," but it has been floating around on a single since 2003.

Meteor Shower- Rhett Miller
"I cannot make light I'm so burnt out, I know where you are, I cannot believe how much it hurts, I'm a fallen star" Damn, Rhett! I'm sorry. But wow, what a track.


  
Another World- World Party
Found deep into the 5 CD World Party rarities set, "Arkeology," this is currently my new favorite Karl Wallinger tune.
 

2 comments:

kevin m said...

I love TFF's "Everybody Loves a Happy Ending" as well. I thought they were supposed to release a new album a while ago but it seems they have gone on hiatus again.

dogbreath said...

Our views are concurrent apropos the Van track. And then you've got the Tears For Fears, Gabriel and World Party tunes. You've made my day! Or should that be: make my day, punk? (No, it's the first one - Ed). Thanks and cheers!