Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Snake Bone



This week in "Nobody Gives A Crap About Your Jazz Posts, Sal" features a track from a 1969 Blue Note release by Lou Donaldson called "Say It Loud."

I picked up a small batch on a mini local road trip with a friend yesterday afternoon, trying to do our part to support the record shops, while of course, feeding our habit. It was sad and somewhat disappointing to see some record shops still not open for business, and others shuttered for good. I can’t say I don’t understand. I feel for all of them. I know I am not comfortable doing a great number of things still, even with the relaxed (HA!) conditions. But I am very grateful for those trying their best to keep things going, even with limited hours and a new set of pandemic browsing rules. 

I'll take it.








But I digress.

The Lou Donaldson record is pictured on the bottom right. It is not a particularly good soul jazz session. The band, featuring Blue Mitchell, Charles Earland, Jimmy Ponder and Leo Morris, seem to be chilling a bit too much, as the kids say. Nothing here goes beyond a standard groove, kept long enough for each individual to deliver a perfunctory solo...except the last track "Snake Bone," which is why I grabbed the $15 record. "Snake Bone" is definitely laid back and funky, but here the soloists, especially guitarist Ponder, seem to have woken up. By the 5:00 mark, you can't help but fall into the pocket and the whole thing just cooks as drummer Morris marches it out.

Try and dig it.


6 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

It's not that I "don't give a crap about these posts" ...

I've never really "got" the jazz.

I listen, I try, I appreciate!

Sal Nunziato said...

@Jayessemm,
I was just quoting an anonymous comment that I immediately trashed.

Anonymous said...

Love the groove on Snake Bone - the funky flavor keeps things moving nicely.

I've been enjoying your One Sentence Reviews - great idea! Agree with you on Blue Sky/Mars.

Just curious - what are the browsing rules in the shops you're visiting?

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
One shop--Record Grouch--had their rules up on the website. "We are open. Must wear masks. No more than three people in the shop at one time. Only one person at New Arrivals bin at a time." In the meantime, they were NOT open when we got there. Captured Tracks had a three person at a time limit, masks and gloves, which they provided."

hpunch said...

I am also loving the one sentence record reviews. I've been meaning to write that as well.
A great new feature

buzzbabyjesus said...

Who doesn't love a funky groove on a Summer day?