Sunday, September 6, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 8/29-9/4



I Was A Little Too Lonely- Nat "King" Cole
Bat Macumba- Os Mutantes
Soul Disguise- Cesar Rosas
Waves Of Fear- Lou Reed
The Truth, The Whole Truth, Nothin' But The Truth- Ian Hunter
Old Flame- Thin Lizzy
Dancing With Mr. D- Rolling Stones

zip

I Was A Little Too Lonely- Nat "King" Cole
I picked up a copy of "After Midnight: The Trio Sessions" and though I had heard it before, it really did the trick this time around. So much so, I went on the hunt for the complete sessions, which includes 6 more songs not on the original album. This is one of those bonus tracks.

Bat Macumba- Os Mutantes
Another recent pickup was the David Byrne curated Mutantes collection on Luaka Bop, where you will find this Brazilian nugget.

Soul Disguise- Cesar Rosas
I wanted the entire Cesar Rosas solo album to be as strong as this cut. It was not. So here is this cut.

Waves Of Fear- Lou Reed 
"Crazy with sweat, spittle on my jaw/What's that funny noise, what's that on the floor/Waves of fear, pulsing with death/I curse my tremors, I jump at my own step
I cringe at my terror, I hate my own smell/I know where I must be, I must be in hell"
 
Go Lou!! Been thinking about this one since April.


 
The Truth, The Whole Truth, Nothin' But The Truth- Ian Hunter
One of Mick Ronson's finest hours!
 
Old Flame- Thin Lizzy
Another residual from the Phil Lynott birthday/Thin Lizzy binge. This is a good ol' good one.
 
Dancing With Mr. D- Rolling Stones
In anticipation of the "Goat's Head Soup" boxed set which arrived on Friday afternoon. More on that later this week....maybe. Until then...





2 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

I'm digging the Nat King Cole and can't believe Goats Head Soup is so old it is getting the "royalty from the vaults" treatment.

Thanks Sal

dogbreath said...

Thanks for the zip job. I'm still ear-deep in Lizzy so Old Flame slots in nicely. No argument over the Nat King Cole or Stones tracks. Cheers!