Friday, September 18, 2020

Today's Bonus Cover Version


 

While I wait for UPS to deliver blank CDs so I can create and post your "W": Weekend Mix, please enjoy Paul Gilbert, Kasim Sulton, Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy, paying tribute to The Beatles as Yellow Matter Custard and their absolutely kick-ass version of "Taxman."

I know there are a lot of Fab Faux fans out there and while I am not here to take anything away from their work, I'd like to say that for my money, I prefer YMC. They seem to do just as much with a lot less while keeping the Beatles covers fresh, as you can see and hear with this extended jam. Note perfect recreations are something to behold, but live music should also be fun and spontaneous.


Your Weekend Mix will be posted later today, or first thing tomorrow.


Thanks for your patience.


7 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Sal

"While I wait for UPS to deliver blank CDs"

I completely understand; My kids would shake their heads! :-)

cmealha said...

Kick ass version. Didn't know about these guys.

Whattawino said...

Yowzer! Nice treat, Sal. Didn’t know them either.

buzzbabyjesus said...

That is so cool. Paul Gilbert is full of surprises.

hpunch said...

Paul Gilbert is such a talent. That was great all around,
But I thought only drummers can wear over the ear headphones on stage.

Alexi said...

Whoa- who are these guys? Thanks for the clip and the heads up, Sal! The lead singer- that's Gilbert I guess- has a lovely voice with good controlled phrasing and then did a phenomenal, breaking loose guitar solo. Nice combo.

Sal Nunziato said...

Paul Gilbert started as an amazing shredder with Racer X and then rose to fame with Mr. Big. He's a major talent. Check out his cover of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love."

Kasim Sulton, bassist for Todd Rundgren and Utopia, Joan Jett, Meat Loaf's musical director, occasional bass with Blue Oyster Cult.

Drummer is Mike Portnoy of Dream Theatre.

Neal Morse on keys and guitar, I believe palyed in prog band, Spock's Beard.

The entire video "One More Night In NYC" is fantastic.