Thursday, September 17, 2020

Everything Old Is New Again: "Made Of Rain" Picks Up Just Where The Psychedelic Furs Left Off... Thank Heavens

 

I've been a Psychedelic Furs fan since the first time I heard what I thought was a new Bowie single, "Sister Europe" on my friend's boombox in the basement of his Sheepshead Bay house in 1980. In 1986, I rearranged a trip to the left coast just so I could see the Furs at the Universal Amphitheatre with support act The Untouchables. And I am one of about twenty six people who love "Book Of Days" and "World Outside," the last two and mostly forgotten Furs records. Yet, I've waited over a month to check out their first new album in 30 years, "Made Of Rain."

I blame my friend Mike who texted me back in July. "Have you heard anything from the new Furs record? I love them, even if every song sounds the same."

What? Every song sounds the same?

Why did I focus on that statement? I had never thought every song sounded the same until I read that text and now suddenly, I didn't want to listen to the new music. "Made Of Rain," to quote an old friend, had been "pre-ruined" for me. It makes little sense, since I also read rave reviews, calling "Made Of Rain" the best record since the Todd Rundgren-produced "Forever Now." Those reviews had little affect on me. My friend Mike's text, for some stupid reason, did. 

That said, I hope I didn't "pre-ruin" it for you, because not every Furs song sounds the same and "Made Of Rain" is a ridiculously solid return, that impossibly sounds like both prime-80's Furs, and fresh, gracefully-aged Furs. It's a Psychedelic Furs album, through and through, and if you're a fan, you should find nothing to moan about. Just let Richard Butler do the moaning for you.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, right? Would I have preferred an Americana record from this band? Or, a covers record? A big band album of standards? No, of course not. "Made For Rain" is none of that. But it is what Richard & Tim Butler do best: pulsating beats, texture and color, mournful melodies and epic rockers. There are keyboard flourishes and melodic runs in both the album opener "The Boy Who Invented Rock & Roll" and "You'll Be Mine" that could have soundtracked your favorite John Hughes film, as well as some darker moods, as on "Come All Ye Faithful" that will evoke that very first Bowie-esque record from 1980.

I've listened to "Made Of Rain" three times in the last two days and it's revealed more with each spin. This is a terrific return and well worth the 30 year wait.

 




10 comments:

Fabio D. said...

One of 2020 highlight (For me, at least).
Really a pleasure to listen.

Anonymous said...

This album is surprisingly good. I read so many reviews of albums with similar background story where it is claimed they sound better than ever, blah, blah, blah. Most of the time, the work sounds tired, a mere shadow of the earlier efforts. But the Furs deliver big time with this.

- Paul in DK

Marcelo Romero said...

Back in 1993 during the LOVE SPIT LOVE era I was walking east on St. Mark's Place and I accidently bumped into Richard Butler who was carrying a box full of Duraflame logs. He lost his balance and dropped the box- logs all over the place. I stopped to help him pick up the logs at which time I realized who it was. He thanked me, I nodded my head and we each went on our way. My brush with a Psychedelic Fur.

Whattawino said...

LOVE them dang Furs! Right from Sister Europe (early video was really cool too!) and now in 2020 they’re still bringing it! Yikes! That’s how ya do it!

Sal Nunziato said...

@Marcelo
I have a Richard Butler/St. Mark's Place story, too. (I think he lived on the block.)
I was working at Smash CDs and was listening to a live Gary Moore boot from a recent blues tour. In the middle of a guitar solo, Moore sustains this one high note and Butler walks in at that very moment, hears the note, and falls to his knees, playing air guitar to the extended note in a very animated and mocking way. He gets up and says, "What crap." It was funny, but I was enjoying the CD, so it annoyed me.

kevin m said...

Sal - like you I've been a fan for almost 40 years. And this collection of new songs stands right up with their classics. A little good news in what's been a glum year.

buzzbabyjesus said...

It sounds really good. Nothing sad about it that isn't intentional.

steve simels said...

I have a Psychedelc Furs story which I will share with you,on Monday

dogbreath said...

Heaven!

Mr. Baez said...

Yup, a really good, solid album. Love the full sound of it and Butler's voice is strong and still unmistakable. Been listening to it for weeks now. Very enjoyable!