Thursday, January 20, 2022

Life Begins At "89"

 

 

This makes me very happy.

The legendary Charlie Gabriel, senior member of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, will release his first solo record, "89" on the Sub Pop label.

It gets a digital release on 2/25, with CDs and vinyl due in July.

Charlie's playing on this first single is absolutely sublime.

I've seen Charlie Gabriel play more times than I can remember. He'd be a frequent guest at both Shannon Powell's Sunday night jams and Bob French's Monday night residencies at the long lamented Donna's Bar & Grill on N. Rampart Street in New Orleans. Never a bad time was had.

Again, this makes me happy.




8 comments:

Troy said...

Mercy, that was lovely. Thanks for sharing. I had heard Jon Cleary mention this record, and I am very much looking forward to it. Great news.

pmac said...

Cat is absolutely timeless. Also was fortunate to have seen him perform more times than I can count; but the one performance that stands out in my mind was about 6 years ago when Pres Hall played at a rather unique venue in NO, the Music Box (outdoor space). Gabriel was the featured soloist on a song they were performing from the So It Is album, Convergence. He took off on an improvised solo and the rest of the band just stopped to listen, it was completely mesmerizing. Made me think of the extended solo that Paul Gonsalvez did with Ellington's band on the Live at Newport album, C Jam Blues.

Anonymous said...

Never too late, huh?

Got the vinyl pre-ordered - thanks for the heads-up!

Randy

paulinca said...

Oh, this is divine. I've seen PHJB many times (way out in SF!) and this makes me very, very happy today

paulinca

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. It was worth the wait. The room they filmed in looks pretty special, too.

Paul in DK

soundsource said...

There's hope for me after all.

A Walk In The Woods said...

As Atlanta Braves announcer Skip Carey used to say when he'd see a good-lookin' lady in the audience:

"Y'know what's wrong with that?"

pause

"Nothin'"

Mr. Baez said...


Just now listening to this. Oh so sweet. Made my day. Thank you.