Wednesday, January 19, 2022

My Tommy Flanagan Story


 

I was listening to "The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of Wes Montgomery" which features Tommy Flanagan on piano, and I was reminded of the few times Flanagan had come into the shop. He was soft spoken and somewhat frail, but he was also far from warm. He'd always ask to see CDs that he had played on. We had a few but always wanted to know why we didn't have more. He was particularly keen on seeing "The Cats" with Coltrane and Kenny Burrell in the bins. Eventually, I ordered a few more. I mean, it was Tommy Flanagan.

Sometime later, he was doing a week at The Village Vanguard and I went to hear an early set. After the performance, he sat down on the banquette directly to the right of the stage. I decided I wanted to say hello and congratulate him on the wonderful performance.

"Mr. Flanagan. Hi. The set was amazing." 

"Okay."

"It's Sal, from NYCD on Amsterdam Avenue." 

"So?"

That's my Tommy Flanagan story.

7 comments:

hpunch said...

Hahahahha. Great one!!

Anonymous said...

Great, great, great!!!

Randy

Bombshelter Slim said...

A marked contrast to Julian "Cannonball" Adderley... went 2 nights in a row (for both sets) and sat right in front of the stage. The next year he made another appearance, Cannon looked down at our seats and said "you again? great to see you, hope you enjoy yourselves". That's my Cannonball story.

drstu said...

a real shmoozer hey Sal?? That is pretty damn funny

Marc said...

Cannonball liked talking to audiences. Not surprising, considering that he started as a music teacher, in Florida. I'm really bummed that I never got to see him live - I was 10 when he died.

Sal, your Tommy Flanagan story reminds me a little of your David Crosby story, if a bit less extreme.

Marc

Chris Collins said...

that's a beautiful story

Anonymous said...

Musicians can be assholes, too.