Sunday, April 17, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 4/9-4/15

 


Play The Game- Utopia
I Get The Blues When It Rains- Alonzo Stewart
Sandcastle Disco- Solange Knowles
What A Wonderful Thing Love Is- Al Green
Tell Her This- Del Amitri
Downtown Suzie- Rolling Stones
Mannequin- Wire

Play The Game- Utopia
I gave Utopia's "POV" a spin last week, hoping I'd come around a bit. I didn't, but I minded it less than I usually do. I am still not a fan. But I do love this track.

I Get The Blues When It Rains- Alonzo Stewart
I began compiling a New Orleans playlist, which you will see very soon. This did not make the final cut, but I wanted to get it out there somewhere. A classic!

Sandcastle Disco- Solange Knowles
I am not above recognizing this as a perfect pop single.

What A Wonderful Thing Love Is- Al Green
Read a good article on the Reverend in a recent Mojo, so of course, had to pull out my favorite Al Green album. This is from "I'm Still In Love With You."

Tell Her This- Del Amitri
I forget if you are mostly for or against Del Amitri. Personally, I think "Some Other Sucker's Parade" is a pop masterpiece. "Twisted" is pretty damn good, too. And this track is lovely.

Downtown Suzie- Rolling Stones
I have had "Metamorphosis" since it came out in 1975 and I only just realized this is a Bill Wyman tune.

Mannequin- Wire
Loving Wet Leg a lot. (Might even be a little obsessed with it, actually.) Some of it makes me think of Wire.

zip

12 comments:

Cleveland Jeff said...

For Del Amitri all the way. I agree that Some Other Sucker's Parade is a classic. A great record without a single low spot. Near perfect in a way very few records achieve.
They have a new one out, Fatal Mistakes, after almost 20 years, and while it's not Some Other Sucker's Parade, it a good one.

https://kleaveburg.blogspot.com/2021/06/del-amitri-fatal-mistakes-2021.html
https://kleaveburg.blogspot.com/2013/06/del-amitri-some-other-suckers-parade.html

Anonymous said...

I've got a pretty sizeable Todd mix on my Ipod and Play This Game had never been considered for inclusion... until now. Thanks!

And thanks for the mix!

Randy

sclinchy said...

On my way to NOLA on Tuesday for the first time in three years! French Quarter Fest. Irma, Jon Cleary, Jon Boute, Kermit and on and on. Can’t wait.

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry I'll miss ya, sclinchy! I'm leaving a week from Monday.
Enjoy yourself! I know you will.

Squints said...

I can take or leave Del Amitri mostly. But they get into heaven just for "Not Where It's At." That's how you make a record.

"Downtown Suzie" is probably my second favorite number from Metamorphosis, only slightly behind "Jiving Sister Fanny." That cover of "I Don't Know Why" is pretty great, too.

Troy said...

Jealous of you peeps who are headed to NOLA. Hope you enjoy and get both your soul and your belly full.

I like the Dels a lot, and actually enjoy Twisted and Change Anything a bit more than SOSP. All of them are very good, however. Fatal Mistakes reminds me of Justin Currie's solo stuff, which I can take or leave. Great song for this weekend mix!

cmealha said...

Thanks for turning me on to the Del Amitri tune. great one.
I bumped into the Solange album by accident when it came out and loved it. Gret cut by her.

Unknown said...

Nothing relevant to post; but I've just spent half an hour (re)reading articles, catching up on comments and getting a serious case of the warm and fuzzies.
Thank you, Sal for creating and nurturing this community.
Tinpot

ken49 said...

Big fan of Del Amitri and think Justin Currie is a great lyricist. This Side of the Morning on Waking Hours is one of my faves. Sort of reminds me of some of the songs on Rod Stewart's magical run. Their live album makes me wish I had seen them.

pmac said...

That Blues When It Rains cut, is perhaps better known by the Snooks Eaglin version. Still, the original is so damn good. Thanks. Sal.

dogbreath said...

Mellifluous mix for which many thanks, Al and Del Amitri always welcome. I'm with you on the excellent Wet Leg who I counterpoint with a bit of Dry Cleaning. Have a good rest of Easter break. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Big fan of Del Amitri. They played NYC Monday night - 1st time in 25 years. Great show - Justin and Iain's vocals were outstanding. There's concern Justin is developing Parkinson's as his right hand trembles at times.....