Monday, April 18, 2022

Wet Leg: Making It Official

 


I mentioned it in the comments. I mentioned it in a Songs Of The Week post. It was the Best Thing I Listened to three days in a row. Now, I am going on record. "Wet Leg" is all that and more.

This record is one of the smartest, hookiest, punkiest and funkiest records I have heard in a very long time. It's infectious. The more I play it, the more I want to play it.

It's not just one thing, but dozens of little things, like subtlely quoting Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World" riff in "I Don't Wanna Go Out." Or, the repeated pronunciation of "Chaise Longue." Less is not just more on "Wet Leg," it's everything. It's the best of Wire, The Slits, Roxy Music, Bush Tetras, and Talking Heads, and it is none of those bands because Wet Leg is impossibly unique and in many ways, a lot more melodic than most of those aforementioned bands. This band isn't just relying on quirkiness, or hoping their influences are enough to grab you by ears and make you listen. There is music everywhere.

Wet Leg, damnit! Wet Leg!

 






13 comments:

Shriner said...

Agreed. Perhaps my favorite album of the year so far.

roryg said...

When I first heard them, I thought early Sparks in a very good way and, you're right, it is infectious. Even their vids are fun.

Tumblingdice70 said...

My sister was just telling me about this band yesterday. You both are right, this is great, I'm in!

Bryan

Jobe said...

I'm probably off here by a 100 miles, but this reminds me of The Pixies with Kim Deal doing the vocals.

Sal Nunziato said...

As I was writing the post, I had both The Pixies and Sparks listed along with the others, and thought it was too much. You are not off, Jobe.

Mr. Baez said...

I heard "Ur Mum" on the car radio on Saturday and loved it! Didn't hear who the artist was and now I know. So many great references yet so fresh and just fantastically listenable. Thanks for the share, Sal.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Wet Leg is seriously lovable fun.

Anonymous said...

Tasty, tasty - gonna be a keeper. Caught some of their Tiny Desk Concert on YT - check it out!

Randy

hpunch said...

I had good money on you detesting Wet Leg. I lost all the money I won on the Linda Lindas wager.

Anonymous said...

Paraphrasing a classic, “they lost me at second 35 of that video “ But will give it a second try later. Maybe Spotify as those images are not the best way to approach something that might be interesting.
Roy

Josh said...

I hate to be wet blanket, but I’ll pass on Wet Leg. I don’t think a lady singing “suck my dick” is edgy

heartsofstone said...

I love that they are evocative of the 70s without copying one specific ar5tist. I can almost hear John Peel introducing them.

Chris Collins said...

I'm down!! for sure! thanks for the heads up