Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Some Fantastic Cat

 


Yesterday, my old pal Steve posted a song by Fantastic Cat over on Power Pop, as a tribute to his new feline addition to the family. I dug it, but before I could dial up the whole record, I got a text from my pal Zippy, with two videos attached:

"These guys are (almost) all very good friends of mine, with their own bands, that put together this band during the pandemic. They were on the CBS Saturday Morning show and there are a few songs on there beyond these two. Thought you might like them."

That's right! Fantastic Cat.

More from Zippy:

"They are all singers and songwriters in their own band. Mike Montali is the frontman for Hollis Brown. Don DiLego fronts Beautiful Small Machines and his solo stuff (and was Jesse Malin's bass player for a while) and Anthony D’Amato (the beardy one) has several solo records and directed a Jesse Malin video when he was a teenager."
 
Fantastic Cat was definitely in the air. 
 
The album, "The Very Best Of Fantastic Cat" is very solid, but these two live performances from the Saturday Morning show take the cake.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying the album over the past few weeks since it first crossed my radar. The videos are great.

- Paul in DK

heartsofstone said...

This is great stuff. Looking forward the show next week in Asbury Park.

Allegrazz said...

Wowee, it's definitely cat week! An old friend of mine just yesterday said he was talking to his neighbor who mentioned a band called Crazy Cats, and he asked wasn't that the name of the band on the shirt I wore in Italy? Which means he was pulling up a memory from 1985, which means the shirt in question was OF COURSE Pep in the Cat! I had TWO Pep in the Cat shirts - red on black and black on red, so I probably wore them frequently, which is why they made an impression. So I guess it's Trifecta Cat Week.