Sunday, December 4, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 11/26-12/2

 


 

Your Love (All That I'm Missing)- JD McPherson
Who Needs You So Bad- Little Bob & The Lollipops
Right John- CBS Trumpeteers
Everyone's In Love With You- Jeffrey Foskett
Inside Out- Silver Ginger 5
Man In The Corner Shop- The Jam
Panama- David Ostwald's Gully Low Jazz Band

zip

Your Love (All That I'm Missing)- JD McPherson
Hot off a tour as lead guitarist for Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, and currently warming things up for The Mavericks, here is the great JD McPherson and my very favorite of all his songs.

Who Needs You So Bad- Little Bob & The Lollipops
Written by Tommy McLain many years before this year's comeback with C.C. Adcock, Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe, this track was a local hit for Gary Walker. It was only after selling a copy of Little Bob & The Lollipops' rare "Nobody But You" LP that I found their version stuck on a Jin Records b-side. I love this track...by anybody.

Right John- CBS Trumpeteers
Speaking of b-sides, this one should put some pep in your step. It can be found on the b-side of the Trumpeteers gospel classic, "Milky White Way."

Everyone's In Love With You- Jeffrey Foskett
Member of The Beach Boys touring band and cancer survivor, here is Jeffrey Foskett and a track from his 1997 CD "Cool & Gone (Gone, Gone)." This record was first available as a Japanese import, and even at $35, we sold a few dozen at the shop. It helped that it was on heavy rotation. If you are unfamiliar with the record, I suggest checking it out for some fantastic power pop ala Crenshaw and the aforementioned Beach Boys.

Inside Out- Silver Ginger 5
A few weeks ago I shared a track from Ginger of the Wildhearts. This fave is from his only record released as the Silver Ginger 5.

Man In The Corner Shop- The Jam
There are no bad Jam records, but I think "Sound Affects" might be their best.
"Puts up the closed sign does the man in the corner shopServes his last then he says goodbye to himHe knows it is a hard lifeBut it's nice to be your own boss really"

Panama- David Ostwald's Gully Low Jazz Band
For many years beginning in the early 2000's, I spent many happy hour Wednesday's at Birdland enjoying two sets by David Ostwald's Louis Armstrong Eternity Band. He would have a rotating lineup of some of the greatest jazz players in NYC, including at one time or another Anat Cohen, Howard Alden, Wycliffe Gordon. the late Joe Ascione, Herlin Riley and Ken Peplowski. I became friends with all of them (except Anat) and most can be found on this track, which has a solo by Peplowski that should blow your mind.

Quick, funny story:

Ken Peplowski would call me three or four times a week asking for help with iTunes. At one point, I lost patience. "I just told you how to tag each track! What don't you understand?!"

He calmly replied, "Play anything on the clarinet."

Miss you Ken.

7 comments:

neal t said...

good 2 know JF survived cancer, sounded bad. Can c y u like that Jam song with those words :)

Noel M said...

That clarinet analogy is GOLD. I need to keep that in mind when I get frustrated with people I'm teaching!!

cmealha said...

Might be one of the best comebacks ever and he certainly backs it up on this cut. The JD McPherson and Jeffrey Fosket cuts are always a welcome listen. I agree that the Foskett album is a pop gem.

Sjm said...

'Man in the corner shop' is a GREAT song!

BlueStaxBoy said...

Loving the version of Who Needs You So Bad. The only other version I have is by Gary Walker. Who else recorded it?

dogbreath said...

Nice one, thanks. I'm with The Jam all the way on that. Cheers!

M_Sharp said...

It's been too long since a JD McPherson album or EP. At least he's still active.