Friday, April 12, 2024

Badfinger: THE WEEKEND BOINK!!


 

 

Loosely using The Replacements' "Boink!!" as a template---6 album tracks, a b-side and an unreleased track---here are my choices to rep Badfinger.

The Beatles connection was a big deal for me when I was a kid. I wanted to love everything on Apple Records, even the Radha Krsna Temple. But it was not to be. Even those amazing Badfinger hits were not enough to carry four very uneven records. By the time they hit Warner Brothers, I lost interest almost completely, save a track or two.

Of course, 50 years later, I don't feel that way at all. I not only love all four Apple Records, including the oft-maligned "Ass," I'd go as far as saying "Wish You Were Here" is better and more consistent than both "No Dice" and "Straight Up."

I used the single mix of "Baby Blue" for that bit of extra pop on the snare. "Baby Please" is an unreleased track from the "Straight Up" sessions. 

Hope you enjoy it.


TRACKLIST

Know One Knows
Baby Blue (U.S. Single Mix)
Lonely You
Baby Please
I Can Love You
Dennis
No Matter What (demo)
We're For The Dark

zip

 

14 comments:

pmac said...

Ashame that they never knew the great fame that they would ultimately achieve. I imagine the appearance in the last episode of Breaking Bad had to be a huge payday for whoever holds the rights to their music. Thanks, Sal!

Noel M said...

Nice!! I see a few songs even I don't know as a big Badfinger fan. Will enjoy this.

Jobe said...

IMHO the first WB record is a classic LP

JD said...

The Weekend Boink!! is awesome. Power Pop Fridays - I love it.

steve simels said...

“We’re for the Dark” is so beautiful it hurts.

Great playlist!

wardo said...

Solid tunes all.

Anonymous said...

I've always struggled a bit putting Badfinger in the "PowerPop" genre. Granted, some of the tunes fit, but their catalog as a whole is so much more than that.

Steve is right about We're For The Dark, which could be my fave Badfinger song.

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

"Steve is right about We're For The Dark, which could be my fave Badfinger song."

It is absolutely my favorite Badfinger song.

Kirke said...

Looks like a great mix. I am looking forward to learning more about them. You put "Perfection" in a weekend mix a couple of years ago, and I play it all the time now.
Have you ever considered a "Best of Apple Records" list? (with the obvious caveat!)
Badfinger, James Taylor, Radha Krsna Temple....GOLD!
Kirke in Austin

ken49 said...

That was a great ending to Breaking Bad with Baby Blue playing and all the significance of the title. I remember there was some debate over Baby Blue or It's All Over Now Baby Blue as the song to play. The first line I Guess I Got What I Deserved sort of sums up Walter White's arc.

Anonymous said...

Badfinger is great, but No Dice is the one for me. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t care. Cleveland Jeff

Noam Sane said...

Adding the ones I didn't know to my Powerpop mix. Thanks. Always an education here!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. While I knew of the band’s tragic management issues, I was unaware of all the challenges the band faced with the making of Straight Up. Also, that the album wasn’t immediately appreciated seems insane. I’m enjoying listening to their albums - most for the first time. Thanks for the prompt, sir.

Sjm said...

I remember seeing an episode of 'American Idol' and Mariah Carey was one of the judges. A contestant had just sung 'Without You', and Mariah said something like 'and thank you to Harry Nilsson for writing such a great song'.

Imagine having a massive worldwide hit with a song and not knowing who wrote it. She corrected herself later on Twitter (obviously after someone told her). Decades after their passing, they are still being overlooked.