Thursday, April 11, 2024

The Dan Auerbach App

 


I've had a love/hate relationship with Dan Auerbach for some time now. As a producer, I thought he helped create one of the best Dr. John albums of his career. But he also had a hand in one of the worst Pretenders albums of their career. He made Shannon Shaw of Shannon & The Clams solo album "Shannon In Nashville" sound a bit like "Dusty In Memphis," but then made Yola sound just like "Shannon In Nashville." (Or was it the other way around?)  I guess my problem with Auerbach is that he has one trick, and it either works with the artist or it doesn't.

Which brings me to "Ohio Players," the new Black Keys record, an album I found myself enjoying until I realized, about halfway through, not much had changed. By the end, I thought, I liked every song. That every song sounded pretty much like the one before it was something I'd have to deal with, but what a solid one song...14 times. 

As an experiment, if I find myself incredibly bored one day, I'd like to make a playlist featuring Dan Auerbach solo tracks, Yola and Shannon tracks, Black Keys and Pretenders tracks and maybe a Dr. John track or two. I'd bet dollars to donuts it would play like one coherent Auerbach record.  Does that make Auerbach a consistent producer, or a producer that isn't really getting the most out of his artists and repertoire, but instead just makes everyone sound like Dan Auerbach, for better or worse? He should just create an Auerbach App so everyone could make a Dan Auerbach record.

"Ohio Players" was a fun spin and I imagine any song could pop up any time and I'd turn it up. But as a whole, it grows tiresome. Beck's involvement, by the way, was not lost on me. I've had a love/hate relationship with him, as well. Unlike Auerbach though, Beck has genre-hopped often enough to keep things interesting, but unfortunately, much of his work has left me cold and I don't believe his involvement with this new Black Keys album makes much of a difference. The Black Keys could have worked with Lemmy or Lily Pons and the records would still come out sounding like a Dan Auerbach record.




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy his work on Ray LaMontagne’s Supernova and Lana Del Ray’s Ultraviolence.

Anonymous said...

I like the early Black Keys albums when they were mostly a duo doing big, noisy blues rock, and they were fantasic live as duo.

They've become less interesting since they went pop a while back, though some songs are still fun. Both of these you posted are okay, but I can't say I'll spend much time with them. The 2nd one posted borrows too much from Cinnamon Girl for me, but isn't as good.

I do like Dan's solo album, Keep It Hid, which has wonderful songs like "Trouble Weighs A Ton" (listen) and has a good mix of rockers and weepers.

- Paul in DK

cmealha said...

I never got on board the Black Keys train. They were always interesting enough to give a spin but nothing that held my attention for a whole album. So I have a bunch of cherry-pick songs in my library, However, this album kept me listening throughout the entire album. Yeah, he's got one trick, production-wise, but it's a hell of trick.

steve simels said...

Lemmy and Lily Pons in the same sentence.

Well, that made my day.😎

Anonymous said...

Sal you do have a point but most producers probably have similar traits with their products. Daniel L has a sound too. Not defending Auerbach but it’s ok I guess. That’s why you use different producers which would be interesting for them to try. His work with Niki Lane really works but it does have his sound integrated in it. I am assuming that is why she has moved on to other producers I also agree that the BK’s do sound like the BK’s. I do hear different influences in the music but overall it is who they are and their sound. They do an lp every two years so I’m ok with it. Ive wrestled with this same issue with the stones and other bands. Same with LZ right? Bands have a sound but they do mix it up from time to time which works ok but they still retain a touch of who they are. TP and the HB’s Mojo lp may be one of the best examples of a band moving away from their traditional sound and it working as a whole. But then the next lp moved back towards their own sound. The new BK lp rocks and I’m happy. It did take me more listens than normal for it to hit me but I think that had more to do with the BK’s website vinyl variant that I got. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it for the first few spins 😂😂

Spinster


Sent from my iPhone

Sal Nunziato said...

"but most producers probably have similar traits with their products. Daniel L has a sound too. Same with LZ right?"

I would argue that the difference is, Bob Ezrin gets called for the big sound, but Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Kiss and Lou Reed albums don't sound like each other.

Same could be said for Todd Rundgren. The Band, Patti Smith, XTC, The Dolls all different from each other.

Lanois is not a favorite and I guess I'd have the same complaint about him that I do about Auerbach. They make their artists all sound similar.

Also, I don't think Jimmy Page gets enough credit as a producer. There weren't too many artists producing their own records back then. And though LZ has a sound, I think the albums changed from release to release.

Troy said...

'Beautiful People' has proved to be an especially effective earworm, one that I have not been able to shake for over a week now. It's a great song. I haven't heard the rest of the album, but I'm not really a big BK fan, so we'll see what happens.

I did really love their video for 'Howlin for You' years ago. That was epic.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Watt seems to be the producer of the moment in classic rock (Iggy, Stones, Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam). Any signature identifiers?

Sal Nunziato said...

I haven't heard the new Pearl Jam. But both the Iggy and Stones sound like the first time in ages either have come close to their classic sound. But they don't sound like each other, which again, is my Auerbach complaint. So maybe that's Watt's trick to being a great producer--paying attention to the artist and their sound and not giving them a Watt sound.

steve simels said...

If memory serves, that Brit band album Phil Spector produced before going to jail did not sound Spectorish.

Noel M said...

And that song is a dead ringer for Cinnamon Girl, too!

iamjethro said...

Sadly, it seems discussion is a concept that died with our Fathers and Grandfathers. Shout them Down. Bully until quiet. Such a shame.

And BTW, Blackmore is better than Iommi. Ringo and Charlie end in a draw.

Sal Nunziato said...

"And BTW, Blackmore is better than Iommi. Ringo and Charlie end in a draw."
Yes, that is exactly right.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great discussions over the last couple days. I love hearing the thoughts and opinions of music lovers. No haters in there and that’s refreshing. I always try to take away at least one thing that I need to try from these discussions. That’s my way of learning. I read daily but don’t post often. I’m going to try to change that too. Keep listening and posting.

Spinster