Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Shannon & The Clams Finally Nail It


 

I've been on the fence regarding Shannon & The Clams for some time now. I could tell from the sound of their records that they listen to a lot of my favorite music. But I always struggle with these deliberately "retro" artists. From the Daptone roster to those Dan Auerbach productions from Yola to Aaron Frazier, these artists try just a bit too hard to recreate the past, boasting about recording in mono, using overhead mics, and employing 60's soul strings and grooves so obviously nicked from the vaults of Memphis, it's like playing Name That Tune against your will. It's mostly all style and no substance, though I maintain that Sharon Jones and Amy Winehouse were exceptions to the rule.

Shannon Shaw under Dan Auerbach's guidance released "Shannon In Nashville" in 2018, her own version of "Dusty In Memphis" and on the first and second passes, I was hooked. But the love affair didn't last long because, as I just mentioned, it ended up being mostly style with little to sink my teeth into. And that is how I feel about these "retro" artists, and about the Shannon & The Clams catalogue. It's fine and fun to a degree, but why not just listen to the superior originals in all cases.

But now, Shannon & The Clams have finally nailed it.

"The Moon Is In The Wrong Place" is a truly great record. Shannon & The Clams have delivered their best and most consistent record yet. Sadly, the inspiration is personal tragedy as Shannon Shaw has been coping with the loss of her fiance Joe Haener in a freak car accident just months before they were to wed in 2022. The new record takes this head on, and while there are some heartbreaking moments throughout, it is not all a downer.


It could be me, but the band finally sound like themselves. It's not just girl group karaoke or production tricks. The album is fresher than that. Yes, you will find yourself calling out 60's hits like "Western Union" by The Five Americans on the title track, or "Stand By Me" on "The Vow." But these nods to the 60's work because the songs on "The Moon Is In The Wrong Place" are solid. They are better than previous records. The band doesn't need to rely on just style this time around.

I hope I feel this way on my third and fourth passes. Those are usually the most telling spins. For now though, I am really digging this new one.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good stuff especially the last song. will give the whole album a listen on streaming services. my previous favourite by these guys would be 'year if the spider' from the album of the same name.
rs

JAYESSEMM said...

I'm with you -- a very strong album.

And if you want heartbreak, Shannon wrote "The Vow" to sing to her husband at their wedding. Two weeks before the big date he died in a car crash -- yikes!

That notwithstanding ... well worth a listen.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Oh so close, yet so far.

hpunch said...

I never liked what I heard before. But I agree. These new tracks are catching my ear.

Noel M said...

Sounds good! The video reminds me a lot of what Immaterial Possession (Athens Ga band I love) has been doing for a couple of years .... check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBciozQPzyY

Christine said...

I'm really loving "Big Wheel". Keep going back to it. Although it could also be to watch the Optimum wipeout ad that cracks me up! No, really, it's the song. Good stuff!

M_Sharp said...

I've only had time for one spin, but it's connecting a lot better than their previous albums.