Friday, August 23, 2024

New Stuff, And It's All Good

 

 

It's been a long time coming, but "Woodland," the first new music from Gillian Welch & David Rawlings in 13 years, if you don't count 2020's COVID covers release, is out today, and there are no less than six absolute classics within. The harmonies are still impeccable, and as usual, often sound like one voice, as Welch and Rawlings weave in an out of each other perfectly, sometimes eerily. 

 

The songs and styles will be familiar, though one really surprised the hell out of me. "What We Had" sounds more like a classic David Gates hit than anything out of the Appalachian Mountains, and it's a beauty. "Woodland" deserves attention, especially since we will all probably be dead before these two get it in gear for a follow-up.

 

 

 

 





The story of Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks is a good one. The latter are some of the best musicians in the game who post note perfect videos of classic rock songs that even some of the original artists no longer attempt live. Yes singer saw the Geeks performing "Close To The Edge" and asked them to be his backing band for a tour. I'm sure I am missing a few details, but that is basically it. The tour was a success and now we have the studio recordings in "True." If you're not a fan of Yes, I don't imagine this record will impress you anymore than "Fragile" didn't. But if you are a fan, "True" is pure joy.

 

 

This is a record that could have been released in 1978 and might have been considered one of their best at that point. The Geeks, which feature Richie Castellano, Andy Graziano and Andy Ascolese sound miraculously like Anderson's former partners in crime, and "True" is a welcome return to what made me a fan of Jon Anderson in the first place.

 

 

 

 

 




25 years ago, Shelby Lynne released an instant classic in "I Am." She won a Grammy for Best New Artist, even though she had been around for ten years, and had five previous albums under her belt. Nothing after "I Am" seemed to generate the same excitement, though that wasn't Shelby's fault. She released some damn good music between 1999 and 2023. Now, she releases "Consequences Of The Crown," and it is arguably the best record of her career. 



Low key, soulful, emotional and absolutely melodic, Shelby Lynne has taken the best of what she has done on all of her prior records and perfected it, with help from a stellar group of musicians and producers Ashley Monroe, Karen Fairchild and Gena Johnson.

12 comments:

paulinca said...

I can't wait to check out Woodlands! Welch and Rawlins are always amazing. Seeing them at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival (as a duo or with other legends like Emmylou or John Paul Jones) was rapturous.

Troy said...

Really looking forward to hearing the Shelby album.

steve simels said...

For obvious reasons, the Band Geeks story really appeals to me. 😎

Anonymous said...

I love the story of Jin Anderson and the band geek. I didn't realize they were making a new album. The two samples that you posted have got me excited and I'm gonna give it a listen today. I'm happy for Jon Anderson Given all the turmoil of recent years. And he looks damn good.
I agree with you that the Shelby Lynne album is an instant classic. I listen to it for the first time and fell in love with it completely. I was a little put off by the production as it wasn't as expected but the beauty of the songs and her voice overcame any reservations I had about.

steve simels said...

And may I add that the Welch and Rawlins stuff is spine-tinglingly good?

Noel M said...

Really cool ... I am semi-obsessed with Yes right now (I have played "Close To The Edge" the song an average of once a day for weeks), so hearing that Jon and the Band Geeks put out an LP is good to know. I've gotta get this!

Also like the Shelby Lynne a lot too. It's got almost a trip-hop vibe on these 2 songs.

cmealha said...

I listened to the new Jon Anderson and The Band Geeks album and found it to be amazing. It's one thing to be a note perfect mimic but quite another to develop music and arrangements in support of Jon Anderson that clearly recall Yes at their height. It's not Yes but very Yes-flavored. It brought to mind the Trevor Rabin version of Yes in that it harkened back to the original band but was different. The arrangements aren't as intricate as Fragile/Close to the Edge era Yes but you can't help but recall the original band. Kudos to the band and especially Ritchie who also produced the record with Jon Anderson. Any Yes fan will be more than satisfied with this outing.

Sal Nunziato said...

@cmealha
Glad you thought so. The second time around was even better. Did you notice the occasional quotes of classic Yes, like the bass accents from "And You & I" in "Counties & Countries?" Or the similar intros in "Revealing Science Of God" and the new one "Once Upon A Dream?" Nice touch.

Bill said...

Got around to the new Welch/Rawlings album today. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Feels like they’re expanding their sound a tiny bit, with drums and harmonica and strings.

Guess we’ll meet again in 2037.

Anonymous said...

Noel:

When I get in a Yes obsessive mode, I go to "Gates of Delirium." Howe and Moraz are amazing on that one. They all are. Also, if you crossfade the first half of the studio version of "Ritual" with the "Yesshows" live version at the percussive section midway, it enhances the experience. Trust me on this one.

VR

Anonymous said...

Welch-Rawlings goes without saying.

I love Shelby Lynne. Caught her at the Mint in 1999 right after "I Am Shelby Lynne" dropped in Europe. A friend of mine in the Dutch rock press tipped me on the album. It was a weeknight. Lucky if there were 100 people, not that the Mint holds that many more. She proceeded to slay me. I liked her stage presence and banter. Saw her many times since. Once, she hit her guitar player over the head with her acoustic and fired him on the spot. You don't see that every day. Only thing that beat that was seeing Johnny Thunders have some kind of breakdown and talk to the audience as if he was in a therapy circle. Every time the band tried to start a song, he'd stop it and continue with his problems. His backing band literally walked off the stage after about 40 minutes of his rap about how tough it was to be Johnny Thunders. Most of the audience left too. He wouldn't stop. But I digress.

The new Shelby album is great. But some over the last 25 years are equally or more great. At least at this stage.

Think I'll pass on the Anderson release. Nice back story but ...

VR

Anonymous said...

Gave the Welch-Rawlings album a first listen today: it's lovely.

After two listens to the new Shelby Lynne, I like most of it. Her voice sounds a bit shrill on "Consequences" but the others are all solid. It will certainly get more plays, but it's too early to say it's her best.

Jon Anderson's new one is better than expected, but not one I'll spend much time on. I prefer King Crimson and Genesis over Yes.

I'm listening right now to the new one from Steve Cropper and The Midnight Hour (with Billy Gibbons) - Friendlytown. It's alright, straightforward blues rock played/recorded very well, but not essential.

I see there is also a new one from Quivers which will get a spin soon.

- Paul in DK