Thursday, August 22, 2024

Vinyl Highlights, #2

 


This 1988 release on the Good Thing label from the Netherlands is the best Barbara Lynn vinyl compilation out there. Why? Well, it covers a few labels for one thing. You get both early hits on Jamie like "Oh Baby, We Got A Good Thing Goin'" and "You'll Lose A Good Thing," as well as some of the mid 60's Tribe singles, the "Crazy Cajun" recordings produced by Huey P. Meaux, like "I'm A Good Woman" and the brilliant "Sugar Coated Love." These individual singles will set you back triple digits, but they are all here in an excellent affordable pressing.




Who doesn't love Southern Culture On The Skids? Okay, don't answer that. I know a few of you that don't, and I still can't accept it. Here is their 2007 covers LP "Countrypolitan Favorites," released once on vinyl by YepRoc and never reissued. What SCOTS do to T. Rex, The Who, The Kinks, The Byrds and CCR, among others, is nothing short of genius. This record is the most fun you will have without laughing and I've got one for $25 less than the next available copy.




"The Best Of Dark Horse, 1976-1989" is the only George Harrison collection to feature all of the right tracks from what I think is a very underrated stretch of solo Beatle records. It's a smart selection that also features three exclusive tracks, including "Cheer Down," which was a highlight of "Lethal Weapon 2." This record has sold for as much as $60. I've got a nice copy for a lot less.


These and more are begging for a new home. 

Take a look here and maybe treat yourself to a few records. I could use some new socks.


3 comments:

steve simels said...

How the hell did I miss that Southern Culture covers album?

Anonymous said...

It's too bad the Dutch compilers didn't have access to Barbara Lynn's Thanks I Get from Crazy Cajun. She re-did it for Atlantic but it's not as good. Love her CC stuff. I'm a Good Woman is classic.

First saw SCOTS at Jack's Sugar Shack when it was at its OG location on Pico. It was a weeknight. Maybe 20 people were there. I had Peckin' Party and loved it. I'm not sure if the "new" one was out yet, but I didn't have Ditch Diggin' yet. Great show! Chicken flew. One of the opening bands was Sublime who were more popular with the crowd. They already had a sizable local following. A bunch of people left after Sublime.

Countrypolitan is not one of their better albums imho. In particular, I'm not fond of their take on Have You Seen Her Face.

For me, the best way to appreciate SCOTS is live. For maximum enjoyment of their live schtick I'd recommend a combo of whiskey-cocaine-and 100 mic acid. Works for me, anyway. It's that kind of music.

VR

Michael Giltz said...

Lots of great stuff on your sales page! I don't even own a turntable and I want them.