Sunday, August 18, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024; 8/10-8/16

 


Outa-Space- Billy Preston
Dry County- The B-52's
Lock Jaw- Dave & Ansel Collins
Right Now, Right Now- Al Green
Green Eyes- The Ravens w/Jimmy Ricks
Joseph- Judy Mowatt
Gypsy Biker- Bruce Springsteen

zip


Outa-Space- Billy Preston
(Billy had a nice string of hits after The Beatles broke up. I hadn't heard this one in a very long time. It's still pretty damn funky.)

Dry County- The B-52's
(Speaking of a string of hits, "Cosmic Thing" had at least four and this wasn't one of them. It should have been.)

Lock Jaw- Dave & Ansel Collins

(Infectious. Admit it.)

Right Now, Right Now- Al Green
(This never reached the Top 20, but it is my favorite track from the "Gets Next To You" album.)

Green Eyes- The Ravens w/Jimmy Ricks

(They don't make'em like this anymore. Not the record, nor the singer.

Joseph- Judy Mowatt

(I can't say enough about Judy Mowatt's "Black Woman" album. It's essential, filled with one beautiful melody after another.)

Gypsy Biker- Bruce Springsteen

(One of my favorites from the "Magic" album.  An epic film in a little over four minutes.)

 

 


6 comments:

JD said...

Great playlist - love, love Dave & Ansel Collins!!!!!!! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I also loved Lock Jaw!

I don't believe I've heard Outa-Space since it was released in '71 - pretty damn funky is right!

Downloaded Judy's Black Woman album - damn, can't wait to get into that!

Another outstanding SOTW, much appreciated!!

Randy

Ken D said...

A long time ago I had a couple of terrific Judy Mowatt records. No longer have the records and sort of forgot about her. Thanks for reminding me. A fine workday listen.

steve simels said...

I’d forgotten the Springsteen song. Wonderful.

dogbreath said...

Managed to avoid Lock Jaw until now! Brings back memories of the boys' Double Barrel that was such an earworm back in 1970(?)

Noel M said...

Thanks for this!