Sunday, October 28, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 10/20-/10/26




Limp- Fiona Apple
Early Morning: Cold Taxi- The Who
Got To Choose (Live)- Kiss
Is It Just me- The Darkness
45- Elvis Costello
This Town- The Tubes
Wandering Spirit- Mick Jagger

zip

Limp- Fiona Apple
I am not really a fan of Fiona Apple, but I love this track from her second album, "When The Pawn With The Guy And The Thing With The Hat Eats A Fig Not A Grape Off The Thing With The Lamp." (Or something like that.) Anyway, this song is all about the drumming, courtesy of Butch Norton, who has also played with Lucinda Williams and the Eels.

Early Morning: Cold Taxi- The Who
I wasted 22 seconds of my life by being clickbaited into reading "The Who's Songs Ranked From Worst To Best" on some E-Mag. This track, from "The Who Sell Out" sessions, was right at the top of the bottom, so fok dat guy and the pitchfork he rode in on.

Got To Choose (Live)- Kiss
I am an unabashed fan of the first six Kiss albums and this song, originally from "Hotter Than Hell," is even better from the MTV Unplugged session, which I only recently picked up on a vinyl reissue.

Is It Just Me?- The Darkness
I won't sleep until everyone hears the genius of The Darkness.

45- Elvis Costello
Revisited "When I Was Cruel" in the wake of El's new release. Actually, I've been playing the entire catalogue from beginning to end. I am currently up to "Trust," but I detoured into this album because I felt like it. It sounds better than ever.

This Town- The Tubes
Long story about records, which will bore most of you, but I was reminded of this Sinatra cover while looking at a collection, that included a few records by The Tubes.

Wandering Spirit- Mick Jagger
Found this LP in aforementioned collection. Not an expensive piece of vinyl, but it never did come out in the US, so it's not easy to find. Certainly the best thing Mick has done outside of the Stones and arguably better than all RS records since "Steel Wheels."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment about the "Wandering Spirit" album.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Hola! I've been reading your site for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Tx!
Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

A walk in the woods said...

Thanks as always for the SOTW mixes, always appreciate them.

Chris Collins said...

"Wandering Spirit" is definitely better than anything the Stones have done since Steel Wheels". Definitely.

My favorite Fiona album is "NO YOU SHUT UP!!! THIS WORLD IS A JOKE!! EVERYONE GET AWAY!!!"

It's nice

dogbreath said...

Nice! Thanks for upping. The Darkness track gives this Monday morning a kick up the arse, just what's needed. Cheers!

JAYESSEMM said...

You got me on The Darkness train!