Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Where Has This Been All My Life?



As part of the ongoing extended copyright releases, two more Beach Boys collections have surfaced digitally, both from 1968- "I Can Hear The Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions." I've been listening to "20/20" a lot lately, a truly underappreciated record, to say the least, so I decided to slog through the sessions for that album first. It's worth the time, if you're a fan. This version of "Walk On By," in its less than two minute glory, knocked me out. How have I never heard this before? Huh? Answer me, damnit!


10 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Hmmmm... so no one thinks a "Smile"-type arrangement of a Bacharach-David song with gorgeous Brian vocals worthy of comment? I bet you guys like "Orange Crate Art."

cmealha said...

Me neither. Would have loved a completed version.

cmealha said...

Did mine not come through? I loved it. Sounds gorgeous. Wish they would have done the complete song.

Peter Ames Carlin said...

There have been versions of "Walk On By" around for nearly 30 years, I think, going back to the 1990 remaster of "Friends/20-20." Then other box sets or re-remasters have featured the tune so if memory serves there are at last two or three different takes/mixes out there. This one seems extra-boss, tho.

DaveF said...

I love these work in progress snippets. I wish they had finished it. Lots of great potential here. Instead the trophy and cleaner winner of the song goes to Aretha Franklin.

A walk in the woods said...

Wow - yeah!!

Here's my other favorite cover of this great song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pvEZKaYIbA

buzzbabyjesus said...

I hear a lot of Smile/Smiley/You Are My Sunshine magic.
I left to immediately acquire as those are some of my favorite Beach Boys.

Robin said...

Wow. I can't answer where it's been all your life because I don't know where it's been all mine.;) Very cool. Gosh, I love them so.

M_Sharp said...

Nice demo, I'd love to hear a finished version.

A guy called Tak said...

No, never heard of this version before (or I should say in my collection).
Haven't listened all the tracks on these collections yet. Now I'm truly looking forward to 'Surf's Up' and 'Sunflower' sessions.