Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Buddy (That's What I Want!)



Have you ever seen "Festival Express," the 2003 documentary about the 1970 train tour of the same name? I saw it first back when the DVD was released and I saw it again last night, as it had been running on cable as part of a Jerry Garcia celebration. What I recalled from the first viewing years ago was the painful drunken jam session with Rick Danko, Janis Joplin, Sylvia Tyson, Bob Weir and Jerry Garcia and not much else.  What I hadn't recalled at all, was this absolutely filthy version of "Money" by Buddy Guy. The performances throughout are pretty damn good. Another fave is The Band ripping through "Slippin' & Slidin," a song I thought I never needed to hear ever again by anyone, but somehow was transformed into a blistering funky groove courtesy of Rick and Levon. The Dead sound great on "New Speedway Boogie" and the talking heads, especially the promoter, an embalmed Ken Walker, are all hilarious for their own reasons. See it if you haven't already. But check out Buddy Guy now. The guy's on fire.

8 comments:

steve simels said...

I saw it years ago and recall thinking it was...er...interesting.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I didn't realize how bad I needed to see that clip this morning until I saw it.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Wow...dudes totally tore it up.

RichD

JAYESSEMM said...

What a bananas effort was that Festival Express!

Fifty years later ... the recent New Yorker profile of Buddy Guy is pretty cool:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/buddy-guy-is-keeping-the-blues-alive

Anonymous said...

Questlove on 2nd guitar?
C in California

dogbreath said...

A brilliantly bonkers blast - great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Corrosive guitar on that one. Also like how he started singing with a shriek.

Noam Sane said...

For me, this was where I finally "got" Janis Joplin. She'd always been that screechy blues chick with the kinda crappy band, but seeing her performance in this film was an eye-opener, she's amazing.