Sunday, March 10, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 3/2-3/8



Fat Old Sun- Pink Floyd
You Were So Warm- Dwight Twilley
You Can't Do That- The Beatles
Train In Vain- The Clash
Lord Chancellor's Nightmare Song- Todd Rundgren
Another Girl, Another Planet- The Only Ones
Time It's Time- Talk Talk

zip

Fat Old Sun- Pink Floyd
An early Gilmour gem with a brilliant and triumphant guitar solo, of which I will never tire.

You Were So Warm- Dwight Twilley
Last SOTW or maybe the one before, I posted a Twilley track from "Sincerely" that I didn't recognize, so I went back and gave the whole record a spin. This was a hit and it still kills me.

You Can't Do That- The Beatles> Train In Vain- The Clash
In 1982, I spent an afternoon at the Baruch College radio station where my friend and I created three literally mixed tapes for a party, and all these years later, his segue from "You Can't Do That" into "Train In Vain" still knocks me out. I was telling him about it and of course, he did not remember. The crossfade is the real money, but here are those two songs anyway. Use your imagination.

Lord Chancellor's Nightmare Song- Todd Rundgren
Todd likes the novelty tune. I do not. He likes to toss one or two on every album, even if they are 2 minutes long or less. They are always my least favorite moments of every record. But this track is Gilbert & Sullivan, and it took me 40 years to appreciate how terrific Rundgren's performance is.

Another Girl, Another Planet- The Only Ones
A punk classic from one of the unpunkiest punk albums of all time.

Time It's Time- Talk Talk
With Mark Hollis' recent passing, many record dealers have of course, raised their Talk Talk records from $8 to $40. I decided to just listen to mine. If you don't know "The Colour Of Spring," get on it. It's a masterwork. This track is the finale, both there and here.

2 comments:

Rhodb said...

Thanks Sal

Really enjoyed the only ones track

Regards


Rhodb

dogbreath said...

Right on with the Floyd track. I have so many versions of "Fat Old Sun" on boots, etc and the guitar solo can't be long enough for me. The tune always evokes long summer evenings in the corn fields by the river, church bells in the distance, a hazy warm glow and (continued on page 94). Great stuff, many thanks!