Friday, March 8, 2019

"Stevie Wonder- Going Deep": THE WEEKEND MIX



A shorter and slightly altered version of this mix was created after I had one of those "His last good record was..." conversations with a friend. I didn't fight too hard on this. The string of records Stevie Wonder released beginning with "Music Of My Mind" and ending with "Songs In The Key of Life" is arguably one of the strongest runs by anyone, and most of what he has released since, is uneven at best, though I do love 1995's "Conversation Peace" a whole lot.

The earlier mix was five from "Jungle Fever" and five from "Conversation Peace," with two stray tracks tossed in for good measure. This mix follows that formula to some degree, but I went a bit deeper for the sake of playback. There is nothing from "The Secret Life Of Plants" because I do believe that record works better as a whole, and nothing from his last release to date, 2005's "A Time 2 Love," because I think it's horrible.



TRACKLIST
Rain Your Love Down
Happier Than The Morning Sun
Sugar
Front Line
Chemical Love
Sunny
It's You w/ Dionne Warwick
What's That You're Doing w/ Paul McCartney
Free
Sorry
Queen In The Black
Gotta Have You
I Love Every Little Thing About You
Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer
Conversation Peace

zip


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I welcome this as I really lost track of him after Songs In The Key Of Life.

Randy

buzzbabyjesus said...

This is unexplored territory for me. Thanks!

rick said...

"The string of records Stevie Wonder released beginning with "Music Of My Mind" and ending with "Songs In The Key of Life" is arguably one of the strongest runs by anyone..." Couldn't agree more. Wasn't it Paul Simon who started a Grammy acceptance speech back around that time by saying something to the effect of: 'I'd like to thank Stevie Wonder for not releasing an album this year'?

pmac said...

I'd Never Dream You'd Leave in Summer is one of my favorite tracks by any artist. Great compilation. Many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Yes! Stevie is one of our absolute musical treasures. Listeners should feel free to add He's Misstra Know It All to your excellent playlist. Or Lately, from Hotter Than July...one his most heartbreaking ballads and a marvelous vocal performance. Or....actually, feel free to do another volume in a few months.

Best...RichD

Mr. Baez said...

Thanks for the Stevie mix, Sal. Just marvelous. As RichD stated, he is a national treasure. And boy, does he know his way around a clavinet.

Dr Wu said...

I’ve yet to recover from "I Just Called to Say I Love You". I believe in the power of your playlist, Sal. It’s been a tough week for Motown. I trust in Stevie.

ken49 said...

How does that much emotion and expression come out of one person? I listened to Fulfillingness' First Finale a couple of weeks ago. 10 Zillion Light Years took me about 9 zillion of them with just that song by itself.

cmealha said...

I was always a fan of Stevie Wonder's singles and decided to jump in on his albums when 'Innervisions' came out. Based on how good it was I also picked up some cheap copies of 'Music of My Mind' and 'Talking Book' not long afterwards. The one cut that stood out from those 2 albums was 'Happier Than the Morning Sun. I played that one song endlessly for a while.

Sal Nunziato said...

cmealha,
But you do think NOW that both Talking Book and Innervisions are two of the most amazing records ever pressed to wax, right?

cmealha said...

Sal,

Both are great albums but "Innervisions", "FFF" and "Songs in the Key of Life" are the trifecta for me. "Talking Book" is the start of that great run but a slight notch below those three.

A walk in the woods said...

Looking forward to hearing this!

Chris Collins said...

I just got to listen to this, and while I'm familiar with "Conversation Peace" I didn't know the rest. This is fantastic!