Friday, May 3, 2019

"MVNP": THE WEEKEND MIX







My first trip to the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival was 20 years ago this week. Since then, I've been to 16 of the last 20. I am not there now and needless to say, I am not having a great time here in glorious Queens, NY. But, I am trying to take the high road by looking at old pictures and listening to plenty of New Orleans music.

I celebrated the new year in New Orleans in 2003/2004. On January 2nd, 2004, I went to Tipitina's to hear MVNP, a pick-up band featuring two of the greatest drummers to ever beat the skins, Crescent City treasures, Stanton Moore & John Vidacovich. The "N" and "P" of the lineup? Ivan Neville and George Porter Jr. It was the first time I had been in Tipitina's where it wasn't nuts to butts people. I guess a day or two after the New Year's Eve revelry kept many people in their homes, recovering.

With plenty of room to move, I grabbed a beer and walked right up the front of the stage and just stood there, waiting for the magic. I don't recall how long I waited before any action. Maybe 30 minutes, could be more. But I do recall "The Payback" by James Brown being played over the sound system. And it sounded great. Then Stanton Moore appeared, got behind his kit, fiddled about, got comfortable and started playing along. John Vidacovich wasn't far behind and he did the same, followed by Ivan Neville and George Porter Jr.. It was a blast watching the band get into this very familiar groove. The sound man must have gotten the hint and began fading out James Brown so MVNP could take over. It was seamless. And it was badass.

What took place for the next 75 minutes was your typical New Orleans jam session, with highs and lows, peaks and valleys. But when MVNP were on, they were ON!

A few months later, through one of my NYCD sales reps, I was put in touch with another New Orleans devotee. This guy was a godsend. He was loaded with tapes and CDs of live New Orleans performances from both the Fairgrounds during Jazz Fest and from the clubs at night. The MVNP set just happened to be part of his recent acquisitions.

Here is that first set from Tipitina's, on 1/2/04. I hope you dig it as much as I do.  It opens with James Brown's "The Payback" and you'll hear exactly what took place. The band finally feels ready at about 3:10 into the first track and by 3:45, it really takes off. Cyril Neville takes over for John Vidacovich beginning with "Just Kissed My Baby."

SET LIST
The Payback Jam
Fun To Play The Drums
No Turning Back
Same Thing
Jack Shee
Too Rude
Sick & Tired
Just Kissed My Baby
Welcome To New Orleans
Change/Reform
Chicken Strut

zip

8 comments:

Ken D said...

Looks like a rare treat! Thanks.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Nice!

Troy said...

Can't wait to check this out! Thanks for sharing! Years ago, I was lucky to be at the late night set of Voice of the Wetlands All-Stars (@Howlin' Wolf, I think). I remember being surprised/not surprised when Johnny V had to leave for his 'next gig'. It was, like, 3am. Another drummer stepped in, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux came out to jam with Anders and the band, and liftoff occurred once again.

Sal Nunziato said...

Troy,
On my very first trip to Fest in 1999, after the first full day at the Fairgrounds, we exited out the Mystery Street side, which is a shorter walk to the bus stop. It's basically all residential and we passed one house, best described as a shack, with all respect. There was a make shift sign, like the old "gone fishin'" signs in the Little Rascals comedies, jammed into the ground in the front lawn. It said "TONITE-WALTER WOLFMAN WASHINGTON- 4AM!"

More than any other time, I wish I had an iPhone back then. I wasn't even carrying a camera.

Jim G said...

Looking forward to hearing this. I love it when a show you went to turns up like this. I had a similar experience with a Meters show from Tramps in the 90s.

JAYESSEMM said...

Very cool.

Thanks Sal.

Anonymous said...

This is seriously funky!!!

Thanks Sal!

Captain Al

A walk in the woods said...

Just got back from JazzFest Monday, and as you know - it was fantastic. Saw Jon Cleary who covered "Just Kissed My Baby" - so it will be fun to hear the version here.

Be sure to get back there next year if you can, Sal. It had been 6 years since I'd been, and I was so glad I went. Worth every hard-to-scratch-up-penny.