Sunday, May 5, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 4/27-5/3



I Think I Need The Cash- The Secrets
Shilo- Neil Diamond
Man Overboard- Ian Hunter
Couldn't Love You More- John Martyn
Stand Up & Be Counted- The Equals
When I Paint My Masterpiece- The Band
Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do- Prince

zip

I Think I Need The Cash- The Secrets
This gem is from the "Lets Go Down & Blow Our Mind" boxed set, devoted to nothing but British psych from 1967. Hard to choose just one song, but I love the lyrics here.

Shilo- Neil Diamond
A friend said she was watching the "Hot August Night" concert on PBS and of course, I needed to hear early Neil.

Man Overboard- Ian Hunter
Still have Ian and Mott on my mind, I guess.
 
Couldn't Love You More- John Martyn
One of the issues with my computer troubles over the last two months was that, I lost my iTunes library. I have been rebuilding it slowly and one of the artists I was glad to have back was John Martyn. This is an obvious choice from his entire catalogue, but it's what I wanted to hear.

Stand Up & Be Counted- The Equals
I have been OD-ing on The Equals for a week now. Eddy Grant, Derv Howard, bubblegum, glam, punk. The Equals are all of that and more. This, I believe, was their last single from 1972.
 
When I Paint My Masterpiece- The Band
"Someday, everything's gonna be smooth like a rhapsody, when I paint my masterpiece."
 
Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do- Prince
Prince's "Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic" just got a first time vinyl release. I remember saying to a friend at the time of its release, "Prince is back." The record sounded good after that series of WB contract-breakers in the 90's. But, it didn't have legs and I don't think I played it again until this week, when my vinyl arrived. I think I liked it more this time around than last. Maybe it will have legs now. 


2 comments:

dogbreath said...

I'm late to the party again but thanks for the SOTW. Always good to have The Equals and the man Hunter in a mix. Cheers!

A walk in the woods said...

Thanks for this!