Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Get Your Kicks...



Four of Rickie Lee Jones last ten releases have been collections of cover versions, including her just released, "Kicks." I loved the first, "Pop Pop," and really dug the second, "It's Like This." I don't recall caring too much for "The Devil You Know," but to be honest, I don't recall anything about it.

On "Kicks," RLJ takes on a few surprise artists, like Bad Company and Elton John, as well as a couple of tracks I thought I didn't ever need to hear covered again, like "Mack The Knife" and "The End Of The World." But there's something magical about Rickie Lee, and those two songs might be my favorites of the record.

Overall, "Kicks" is a terrific record, made all the more wonderful by the fabulous band of amazing New Orleans musicians helping out.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to have the same problem with Nanci Griffith, tho always cut her some slack because the covers she was doing were out of vogue. But then when she returned to albums of original songs, they didn't have the same oomph that her early work did, so maybe there was a reason for the covers albums.

rick said...

I've always liked her covers, especially 'Don’t Let the Sun Catch You Crying' and now am really enjoying 'The End of the World'. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

FD13NYC said...

Excellent cover of The End Of The World. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Chris Collins said...

I'm listening to it now. I LOVE this record!

also looking forward to the new Lucas Nelson and the Promise of the Real record, coming out on Friday. I saw them a few times live in the past year and they really have something.

jeff said...

I appreciate the craft in terms of the songwriting of "My Father's Gun" but I think it's a sentiment that should remain buried with the victims of the war and is kind of an odd choice to sing. Having said that, I've been loving this album for days. A special treat is "You're Nobody," because her voice has deepened somewhat I can play along with uke in the right key.