Friday, June 14, 2019

"The Legendary Jay Miller": THE WEEKEND MIX






The legendary Jay Miller was born in Iota, Louisiana. It is said that he started the very first record label in Louisiana, Fais Do Do records. Over the years, I've amassed dozens of collections, featuring some of the greatest swamp pop, blues, Cajun and rockabilly, all recorded by Jay Miller. There must be over 100 of these LPs, some devoted to one artist, others featuring a theme, like "Poor Boy Blues" or "Too Hot To Handle." I was even lucky enough to see some of these amazing artists, towards the end of their careers, at various stomps and tributes in New Orleans. At one show, Phil Philips was brought back out a total of three times, each time singing "Sea Of Love" to a crowd of disbelievers. "Is this really the guy who recorded the original Sea Of Love?" It sure was!

Here's a small taste of the Jay Miller sessions. The last three songs were recorded live at the Swamp Pop Summit in New Orleans, April 2005.

Hope ya dig it.

TRACKLIST

She's Gone, She's Gone- Honey Boy Allen
Alimonia Blues- Joe Johnson
I Wanna Know- Jimmy Dotson
You Ain't Had To Cry- Slim Harpo
Those Neighbors Of Mine- Lightning Slim
Mama Mama Mama- Warren Storm
Bloodstains- Lazy Lester
I'm A Samplin' Man- Lonesome Sundown
Walkin' In The Park- King Karl
You're Humbuggin' Me- Rocket Morgan
If I Ever Get Lucky- Clifton Chenier
Confusion- Classie Ballou
Let Me Be Your Hatchet (Till Your Hammer Comes Home) - Silas Hogan
Lonely Days & Lonely Nights- Joey Gills
Cool Calm Collected- Guitar Gable
She Was Gone- Wonder Boy Travis
In The Dark In The Park- Jimmy Anderson

Live from The 2005 Swamp Pop Summit in New Orleans, featuring C.C. Adcock, Warren Storm, Tommy McClain, King Karl, Phil Philips

This Should Go On Forever- King Karl
Seven Letters- Warren Storm
Sea Of Love- Phil Philips

zip

7 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

I had an lp in the "80's called "Too Hot To Handle". I bought it for the cover of a guy with a telecaster. It was full of vintage rootsy music I don't remember. I wonder if it was the same one. I know I have some Cajun music on Fai Do Do somewhere.
This mix looks good. Thanks!

Ken D said...

I've heard of a few of these artists and a few of these songs. Not most and not Mr Miller.
Looking forward to a feast of (personal) discoveries! Merci beaucoup, monsieur Bois!

pmac said...

I also have a ton of the Miller sessions recordings. Many thanks for sharing these, esp the 3 live recordings!

A walk in the woods said...

Never heard of him! So, this looks like a fabulous introduction - thanks, man!

jmills said...

Anything with C.C. Adcock is all right with me. Thanks for the great music and this site.

M_Sharp said...

I'm sure I'll be diggin' it, thanks!

Scott Geyer said...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Too-Hot-To-Handle/release/3428689