Sunday, August 4, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 7/27-8/2



Big Sky- The Hot Rats
Things I Should Have Said- The Grass Roots
Race Are Run- Buckingham/Nicks
Pool Hall Richard- Faces
The Truth- Squeeze
Flesh Failures (Let The Sunshine In)- Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity
The Way That We Do- Shawn Colvin & Steve Earle

zip

Big Sky- The Hot Rats
Supergrass side project The Hot Rats were one and done with their all covers release, "Turn Ons." But it was brilliant! Many twists and turns, including a "Strange Brew/I Can See For Miles" arrangement of the Beastie Boys "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" and this Kinks classic. You owe it to yourself to check out the whole record.

Things I Should Have Said-The Grass Roots
I posted the Grass Roots "Let's Live For Today" as the "Vinyl Of The Day" on my Instagram account, with commentary that said "Another gem you can't give away? What's wrong with you people?" A couple of dozen people agreed, the first two Grass Roots records were gems! One person was offended and told me so. My guess, he's never heard either of them. Check out this track and then do yourself another favor and listen to the entire "Let's Live For Today" album. (And follow me on Instagram @salnunziato for YOUR Vinyl Of The Day! ;)

Races Are Run- Buckingham/Nicks
Arguably Stevie Nicks best track. Found a nice clean vinyl copy and this time, I'm not going to flip it. Clean enough for my shelves.

Pool Hall Richard- Faces
The last single from Rod and the boys. What a way to go!

The Truth- Squeeze
See "Deep Cut Six Pack" post from Thursday.

Flesh Failures (Let The Sunshine In)- Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The The Trinity
Picked this up in a collection this week, as well. Love, love, love this!

The Way That We Do- Shawn Colvin & Steve Earle
I think I am finally winding down from my Steve Earle high. I've listened to just about all of his catalogue since last week, including this collaboration. A much better record than I remembered.


3 comments:

Chris Collins said...

I never heard the Buckingham/Nicks tracks before. It's a great one!

Anonymous said...

That last Auger/Trinity/Driscoll album is a mindblower, from the art work by Ralph Steadman to the amazing cover versions. Sometimes I think Driscoll got a little to close to imitating Nina Simone, but then Simone never played with a Hammond B3 trio, so...

dogbreath said...

Thanks for doing the zip thing & I'm pleased you could squeeze in another ...er... Squeeze tune. And I'm loving the Grass Roots track. All very nice. Cheers!