Friday, August 2, 2019

Weekend Mix/Back To Africa



It was 1990, and I lived on E 2nd, between B and C. 
I read a review of "Guitar Paradise", a compilation of various artists, in The Village Voice, possibly by Robert Christgau in one of his Consumer Guides. 
It enthusiastically described unfamiliar music in a way I thought, "yeah I want some of that", 
I walked over to St Marks Place, and not finding that album, I bought "The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto" instead, which in itself turned out to be a guitar paradise. (Tracks 8&9). I continued to keep an eye out for "Guitar Paradise", while collecting more of this exciting music.

You can tell which is better just by looking at them.


It turned up as a download a year or two ago, and the funny thing is none of the songs made the cut for this Weekend mix. If I'd found it first, we might not be here.

When exploring a new genre, songs can sound a little too much alike. It takes awhile to recognize the gems. These were all my "gateway" songs. The ones with the hooks, the deepest grooves, and the best vocals.



I've made this mix several times over the years, but it wasn't until I acquired Kel Assouf's "Tenere" (2019) that it became worthy of Burning Wood.
Classic stadium ready hard rock complete with a "prog" breakdown, and great, passionate vocals.





Tamikrest's "Aratan N Tinariwen" is a groove worthy of the Stones at their baddest. "Can You Hear Me Knockin'" with Mike Bloomfield sitting in on lead.
Baaba Maal's "Fulani Rock", makes me think of side 3 from "Sandanista!", but updated.
Amadou and Miriam are a blind couple from Mali, who cook really well together.
On "Mashaba", Malombo manages to evoke both George Benson, and Captain Beefheart.
BLO was the rare hard rock band on the continent, and this track from 1975, the oldest in the mix, reminds me of  "Drums and Wires" era XTC with Shuggie Otis on vocals.
Los Tetes Brulees "Papa" is a musical soup of XTC/Magic Band/Prog with tight vocal harmonies, and "Jaco Pastorious" guesting on bass.
On Track 8, I hear Howlin wolf singing with XTC again. Or is it Television?
"Sobabamba" is the only instrumental, with some truly extraordinary fiddle playing. African bluegrass-disco. "Sandanista!" again.
"Allah" by Yossou N' Dour is possibly the most beautiful piece of music ever recorded, and what "God" sounds like to me.
Then it's back to the guitars.
Another stomper by Kel Assouf followed by Tinariwen, Grammy winner Ali Farka Toure, and Remy Ongalla. Rockin' guitar grooves all.
Konono No 1 conclude the festivities with "Paradiso". They've salvaged wire and magnets from car parts and wound their own pickups and DIY electronics to amplify their traditional instruments, making for pure punk rock.
You get the idea.
All Killer No Filler!

Retour en Afrique

Retour en Afrique, too


-BBJ

6 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Thanks BBJ! This looks great.

Anonymous said...

Indestructible Beat was my entry, also. I can't think of many other comps that had that "whoah" effect (I'm old enough I knew most of the songs on Nuggets). Maybe "Tuatara," the first Flying Nun comp.

hpunch said...

That Kel Assouf track is damn good thanks

pmac said...

Great mix! Many thanks.

JAYESSEMM said...

Thanks BBJ.

A whole musical corner of which I know very little (read nothing).

I dig it!

Anonymous said...

I hear more "8 Miles High" in Tamikrest than Stones or anything else...And that's a good thing!
C in California