Monday, September 30, 2019

Abbey Road, Dead Man's Pop and Howe



I spent a solid amount of time with the new "Abbey Road" set this weekend. I listened to the album proper, and all four sides of "Sessions," twice! My immediate reaction is that, of the three recent Giles Martin remixes, "Abbey Road" proper had the fewest revelations. This is not to say there is something wrong with it. It's just that where "Pepper" and "The White Album" seemed to jump out and slap you with sonics, "Abbey Road" doesn't sound much different to me. It's no better or worse. I raved about "Oh Darling" and the thrill of hearing those backing vocals, and "Here Comes The Sun" seems to have put on a few pounds for the better. But if the purists are concerned over retouching a masterpiece, no need to worry. It sounds like a very nice pressing of "Abbey Road" and that is a good thing.

The "Sessions" on the other hand, knocked me out. My first takeaway was that these lads could really play. We take The Fabs catalogue for granted, but give a listen to take 20 of "Sun King." This is music that feels more like 10 years removed from "What Goes On" or "Money," as opposed to 5 years. I am mostly impressed with both John Lennon's & George Harrison's guitar playing throughout. I felt this way listening to most of the tracks that comprise the "Long One," or as we know it, "Side Two." The sessions from "Pepper" were a blast, though much of that is George Martin's doing, and the "Esher Demos" were a nice glimpse into the Beatles unplugged, but were, at least for me, far from exciting. Hearing the boys play through the "Abbey Road" material was a different thrill altogether. The extras are worth the price of admission.

One question for all the Beatles geniuses--I always thought Ian Macdonald's book "Revolution In The Head," was the definitive take on the Beatles in the studio, but in the studio notes of the new "Abbey" set, it claims Paul McCartney is playing drums on "Old Brown Shoe," another tune, like "The Ballad Of John & Yoko," that the band recorded while Ringo was off filming "Magic Christian." Macdonald's book has Ringo down for the session. Now, I know Paul is a fine drummer, but "Old Brown Shoe" sounds too much like Ringo to me. Seems odd to make that mistake on such an anticipated set. Any ideas?




Also out this weekend is the lost mix of The Replacements "Don't Tell A Soul," an original Matt Wallace mix, that is supposed to be more of what the band sounds like, as opposed to the high gloss and reverb mix that Sire Records released in hopes of getting a hit or two. The 'Mats did indeed get a hit or two with this album, so all was not lost...except Matt Wallace's mix, until now. It's damn good. It is hefty and adds some heart and soul to what I think is one of Paul Westerberg's best collection of songs.  Check out the lost version of "Darlin' One" above.

The box also includes outtakes and a drunken session with Tom Waits that is a disappointing mess. It is a typical Replacements moment, and the exact thing that has always kept me from truly loving this band. I don't think being a mess is cool. On the other hand, the complete live show from 1989 that is also in the "Dead Man's Pop" box is a killer.



And finally, Yes guitarist and legend Steve Howe has released a new solo with his trio called "New Frontier." I have not listened to a Howe solo record in 30 years, but I was interested in this after reading that Bill Bruford had co-written a number of songs. "New Frontier" is a pleasant surprise. It's an all instrumental record...thankfully...that seems to mix classic Yes melodies with a modern jazz trio feel. I liked the album enough to play it over a second time after the first spin and wanted to tell you about it. Listen to "Left To Chance" above.


17 comments:

jeff said...

I loved the bit at the beginning of "I Want You" on the sessions disk where someone from the control room asks the Beatles if they can't turn it down a bit, as there was some gentleman from the building next door complaining that the music was too loud.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Nice commentary on the release, Sal. Agree that it doesn't have quite the same pop as the Remastered White Album, but that's probably because it was so well recorded in the first place.

The thing that struck me was just how utterly spot on all of the arrangements and overdubs were. The mix highlighted all of these familiar bits but a little better, a little clearer (the Moog on Here Comes the Sun). And all of this is in service to the song. Always. Even the drum solo and the three way guitar duel dont come off as anything other than a musical runway to the closing lyrics. Those last few measures of strings and guitar after "And in the end...." is, sonically, like the greatest closing shot in move history. And then a little fun during the closing credits.

Culturally, that album has absolutely enriched my life.

Best....RichD

Sal Nunziato said...

Rich D.
"Those last few measures of strings and guitar after "And in the end...." is, sonically, like the greatest closing shot in move history."

I'm glad you mentioned that. Hearing the strings isolated like that stopped me in my tracks. I needed a few seconds to realize what I was listening to. Stunning.

wardo said...

I too was stunned about the "Old Brown Shoe" revelation, but listening closely enough, the drums are too stiff for Ringo. Listen particularly at the burst after the take.

Keep in mind also that Ian MacDonald's book was written in the wake of Lewisohn's Recording Sessions, the latter of which Lewisohn himself now says is so full of errors he's embarrassed about it. It's still definitive, until he finishes the trilogy.

Sal Nunziato said...

Wardo,
Just listened, focusing on nothing but the drums. Every fill is identical, which now leads me to believe it is Paul. Still, that's news.

jeff said...

Speaking of Ringo, you can almost hear the tom toms lifting off of the drum skins on the new version of Come Together. It's that kind of subtle difference I hear, but only after going back and forth with the 2009 remaster. It's definitely a fuller sound but I'm not sure it's big enough to run out and hear it. I pulled the White Album out of curiosity and also Sgt. Pepper's. In both those cases, especially Sgt. Pepper I found, the new listening experience is much easier to discern and makes them a lot better.

Here's the other thing I found about Abbey Road, which I've listened to now ten times since it arrived (have it on blu-ray now, what a blast) and it has nothing to do with the sound: it's a fucking amazing record whose greatness holds up decades later. I'm much more forgiving even toward Maxwell and Octopus. The record hangs together amazingly well, better, I think. I just don't know how it's possible that all these decades later there's no group around that holds a candle to them. How did they do it?

Michael Giltz said...

Re: Ringo and drums. Poorly remembered anecdote has Ringo "struggling" to capture what Paul wants on some track (not necessarily Abbey Road) and Paul stepping in and doing it himself, which sounds obnoxious and hard-to-believe since non-drummer me was always led to believe that Ringo is an amazing drummer (not just with an awesome vibe and feel that can't be duplicated but technically great and anyone who says different is a fool). Which would suggest Paul was an even better drummer? Which is I assume, absurd? Maybe I'm drunk. Always hated the story for making Paul look like a bastard and Ringo as less than drumming wise.

Michael Giltz said...

I have just finished listening to the album proper and all the extras...ONCE! Hey, I'm slower than you. To complete my dorkiness I also called up the Abbey Road 24 hour cam to glance at it occasionally while listening to said album. No wonder I'm single.

Their most popular album and yet it's not the one I ever mention as my favorite, cycling through Revolver and White Album and Sgt Pepper (and A Hard Day's Night so Sal won't think less of me) and Rubber Soul and even Magical Mystery Tour when I'm feeling cheeky. (MMT is pretty awesome in mono.) Maybe Abbey Road is too obvious? Maybe it's Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as track three and the poor man's Yellow Submarine "Octopus's Garden" as track five that does it? Side one is amazing with those two secondary efforts the only minor drags. (All relative, of course.)

But my god, is Come Together/Something the greatest single of all time or Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane or some OTHER Beatles single I haven't thought of?

The demos are thrilling to hear. I look forward to the day they release some package where you can isolate each and every track on every song on every Beatles album and remix and relisten to just vocals or strings or drums or whatever to your heart's delight. hearing them run through the side two medley -- what a band. Dear God.

I know we now believe they hadn't shut the door on future albums. Yet I hear the medley and can't help feeling like they were running out of time. here's a medley of all the songs we haven't been able to record yet! One minute glimpses of one genius song after another. Sorry folks, have a good night, we're out of here! It's like the greatest tease imaginable.

As others have said, "Because" is so nutty and gorgeous and haunting. It's Lennon at his best. Ditto "Sun King." Why in God's name is it "Here come the Sun King"? instead of "Here comes the sun king?" That's been tickling my fancy though now I look it up and see people think it IS "Here COMES the Sun King." Well it sure didn't sound like that to me on my shitty AirPods.

Paul really comes through on "Oh Darling" and Side Two. His gift for melody and arrangement and pure showmanship is on full display here, right down to the final bow "And in the end..." and the kicker of "Her Majesty" delightfully taking the piss.

Sonically gorgeous and surely the fact that there's no restored mono to hear new details on is a big reason it seems less revelatory. I mean, we've been hearing the stereo mix for decades so how could they surprise us as much?

God I love the Beatles. There is SO MUCH music being created. Who the hell knows what will survive or be listened to 500 years from now? The list of guaranteed gods who will survive (Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Joni Mitchell and on and on and on) gets really lengthy really fast. Hmm.

But I'd lay money on the Beatles and Bob Dylan.

djmcblues2 said...

I can't find the links to albums. Where are they? Thanks.

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry, no links here.

dogbreath said...

I've always felt "Abbey Road" was bit of a mixed bag & can recall being a tad disappointed when I first heard it (50 years ago? Really?). I know it's got those effortlessly brilliant Harrison songs and "Come Together" was quite an eye opener for the time, but doesn't the fact I've stood on that very zebra crossing on the cover - probably like most of you chaps - not entitle me to say it's a disjointed work (No, it doesn't - Ed). Anyway, having said all that, I'm happily dipping my toes (ears?) in the new bumper version & pleased to discover/rediscover there's still magic to be found in the grooves. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I was a Mats fan who didn't mind the original mix of Don't Tell a Soul. I mean, they had to do SOMETHING different, and it did turn out to be their best selling album. otoh, the Wallace mix is fine, too, in an understated way. the live disc is good, too, but the Replacements were so heavily bootlegged that it's hard to imagine hardcore fans not having it already in some form. they are an army so, like the Maxwells concert released last year, it makes sense to give them a better sounding version.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sal -- I was underwhelmed by the White Album remix. But as always, your endorsement carries a lot of weight with me. Are there a couple of tracks you'd recommend I should relisten to? Thanks in advance!

Bruce H

Sal Nunziato said...

@Bruce,

I was sold from the airplane taking off in "Back In The USSR." Every song, to my ears, seems fresh and muscular. Try USSR, "Martha My Dear" and "Long Long Long."

Chris Collins said...

I love the Replacements with all my heart. That's where we differ. Totally get what you're saying, and maybe it was because I discovered the band at 14 and TOTALLY related to the smartass fuckup thing. Whatever it is, this band lives in my heart forever.

I love the Matt Wallace mix. I've always loved "Don't Tell A Soul" (it was my entry point into the band) and I've always hated the bad rap that album got. But this is a different album and it allows me to hear these songs in a new way.

Live stuff is great too.

Peter Ames Carlin said...

I think the MacDonald book is shite. He's factually-challenged and his critiques can lean into the mean-spirited, and for why? For me, the best book of Beatles music analysis is Tim Riley's "Tell Me Why." He's a classically trained musician who knows compositional theory, and better still, knows how to write about it in a visceral, heart-thumping way. All technical facility aside, every page of 'TMW' is radiant with his love for the music, even as his clear-eyed analyses include some striking critiques, too. He's honest. He's passionate. He has no, none, zero, axes to grind. He's a really good writer, is Tim Riley.

So "Tell Me Why." published in 1988. It's the only song-by-song Beatles analysis you really need to read. Though of course you should read as many as you like.

Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/Tell-Me-Why-Beatles-Sixties/dp/0306811200/ref=sr_1_1?crid=301O8NNYULVZ&keywords=tim+riley+tell+me+why&qid=1570214631&sprefix=tim+riley%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-1

Sal Nunziato said...

@Peter Ames Carlin,
Thanks for the Tim Riley tip. His intro explaining why he needed to write the book is worth the price of admission.