Monday, January 27, 2020

"Where You Been, Girl?": A Girl Called Eddy Finally Shows Up



One way to avoid a sophomore slump is to take sixteen years in between your debut record and its follow-up. Erin Moran, aka A Girl Called Eddy did just that, and to say I have been wanting this new record for some time is an understatement. I loved that 2004 self-titled debut but the just released "Been Around" is even better.


From the title track which opens Side One, a Bacharach-David meets "Eddy In Memphis" beauty, to the more than just a nod to Chrissie Hynde & James Honeyman-Scott on "Someone's Gonna Break Your Heart," to what is now and could end up being my favorite song of the year, "Charity Shop Window," a stunningly gorgeous heartbreaker evoking Rickie Lee Jones, Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks, "Been Around" is everything I could have hoped for and more.

"She saw his coat in the charity shop window/where the past lives on at a bargain price/long ago dreams find another chance to live again/memories are cheap in the charity shop window/She can almost hear if she really tries/their first hello, their last goodbyes."

The melodies throughout this record are to die for, each song strong enough to grab hold and never let go. Listen to "Two Hearts" below, my second favorite track, and count the hooks.

Sixteen years is a long time, with the only bit of relief coming from Moran's 2018 collaboration with Mehdi Zannad on the pleasant enough "The Last Detail." People have waited less time for a kidney. But, I am happy to say, "Been Around" was worth waiting the 5,800 days. Richard Hawley's production on Eddy's debut was lush and fit Moran's voice perfectly. But Daniel Tashian's work on "Been Around" gives Moran more room to breathe, and that is why I think this collection sounds so vibrant and fresh.
"Been Around" is a big time winner.

Welcome back!












17 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

I second that emotion!

cmealha said...

And not a moment too soon.I'm glad you liked the album as much as I did. It was well worth the wait and the two songs you posted should win anyone over who's not already a fan. This is top of the list so far this year and it'll take a lot to knock it off. Great songs, beautiful singing and immaculate production from Daniel Tashian. Hope we don't have to wait another 16 years for a follow up.

pmac said...

I kinda remember that first lp, but based on the two clips you potsed of the new release, wow. Stunning. Any idea why so long between the releases?!?

Sal Nunziato said...

pmac and cmealha

You both mention "two songs." I posted three. Do you only see two?

buzzbabyjesus said...

It sounds very 1978 to me.

Ken D said...

Love this! Can't say I recall her first record so it's is all new to me.
A lot of name-dropping in your post... sometimes the "it's-[name]-meets-[name]-esque homage" can be a red flag for me. As in, yeah, we've heard this all before...
Not this one.

And Sal, perfect timing, no?: it seems to have diverted you from your "the Grammys are clueless" post. Bonus points for that.

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for the share, Sal. Very excited to give this a spin! Note: I see three clips.

cmealha said...

Sal, Missed the top one. There are 3

Troy said...

These sound terrific! Thanks for the share and the heads up. Being a huge fan of early Pretenders, I'm especially smitten by "Someone's Gonna Break Your Heart".

dogbreath said...

Very nice stuff with a generous helping of mellifluousness. Reminded me a bit of early Aimee Mann. Much enjoyed, thanks. Cheers!

FD13NYC said...

This is fine music, made with a knack for pleasing the music lover. Not like Billie Eilish's spacey angst warbling, which I don't listen to. Christ, this young baby won 5 Grammy's, unbelievable.

Wasn't Erin Moran the girl in Happy Days? Not her of course I know, besides she's dead now.

Shriner said...

I watched the Grammys as usual. Some good stuff there (Camila Cabello's song was touching -- as was Demi Lovato). Aerosmith/Run DMC sucked. I could die happy without seeing DJ Khaled anywhere again. I've tried and I don't get Ariana Grande. Usher's Prince tribute was...OK. The Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani song was terrible. I loved the call out to John Prine. I would rather have heard "Truth Hurts" by Lizzo. If that was the last time I hear "Old Town Road", I'm glad it was that over the top. Trombone Shorty! "I Sing The Body Electric" -- hahahahah -- OMG! I'm still glad I taped it and watched it the day after -- it's an amazing show every year for so many different reasons.

Billie Eilish is a breath of fresh air to me. Her album as a whole didn't blow me away (Lorde does it better), but "Bad Guy" is an awesome radio song that breaks up all the crap that's usually there. When she performs live, she's really solid. She may end up being a one-hit wonder, but it's a great hit.

But to this post about A Girl Named Eddy -- I will have to come back to it. The title track was *way* too Pretenders for me initially, but maybe that's the point.

But I heard Bob Shane died today, so I've been deep into my Kingston Trio albums tonight. What a great group that was. There are few songs as good as "Chilly Winds"...

A guy called Tak said...

Worth a wait - tooooo long but here it is finally.
The first time ever I heard AGCE was from Amazon.com's freebie MP3 from new/unknown artists. I downloaded couple of songs, I fell in love.
Her voice hasn't changed much, has aged gracefully.
The best album of the year 2020 for sure.

M_Sharp said...

Good pop tunes, I'll be checking her out, thanks!

Mr. Baez said...

Really good songs. 16 years is a long break. Happy to have this new work. Thanks, Sal.

DaViDz said...

Sal:
I ordered the album after you posted the video for the title track a couple of months ago. I loved the song and the shout outs in the first scene (especially Todd Rundgren on the TV). I have not been disappointed. The entire album is brilliant.
Thanks for all you do.

kevin m said...

Sal -Why am I not surprised that you shared this 9 months ago? :)

It really is a fantastic record. So glad I (finally) discovered it.