Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Record Dealer Appreciation Day







Let's get right to the point. Record stores are sadly not considered "essential" businesses.

I call horse hockey!

Would you rather be isolated with a dozen eggs or "Rubber Soul?"

I joke, but the truth of the matter is, as the world begins its gradual reopening, music, the arts and entertainment will be the last on the list to get the go ahead. So, I'd like to do my part for my friends and colleagues across the U.S., record dealers and store owners who might not be able to reopen at all once this whole flipping mess is done.

This week, try if you can, to "buy" some music. I know many have long given up physical product, but the following list contains some truly great people who could use your help. Do what you can to keep these guys in business.

I don't know about you but there's nothing I enjoy more than digging through crates and bins for records and it's been awhile since we have been able to. The next best thing is getting mail and tearing open that box of new music, whether a brand new release  by your favorite artist or that vintage copy of a classic that has eluded you for years.

See what you can do for these terrific record stores and their owners. My link is over on the right where it says "Records For Sale." Just click on "Records For Sale."

Thanks for looking!

Alison's Record Shop In Nashville
Alison has been a customer of mine for years. She only started selling online since the shutdown began, so her stock will grow gradually. Classic rock, jazz, rarities, she's got it all.

Dom Casual
12" dance, electronica, remixes, reggae, funk and more, Dean is the man!

HoldFast Asbury Park
Joe is my go-to guy. Simply the best for reggae, Jamaican pressings, 45's and LPs, not to mention tons of punk, metal and new wave and more.

Louisiana Music Factory
I don't need to tell you how I feel about Barry and his staff. LMF is the heart and soul of New Orleans and you will find the best of the best New Orleans music, much of which is not found elsewhere.

Needle & Groove
Larry owns the joint. Amanda runs the joint. Two of my very favorite people who do this thing.  Needle & Groove is a fairly new shop, though Larry and Amanda are veterans of record shows. Lots of great stuff here, classics galore.

Rockit Scientist 
There is no one better for rare psych, garage, and freakbeat. But that's not all. John has classic rock and even your basic pop if you need it.

Spike's Record Rack 
I've known Spike for over 35 years. Check out his stuff, rare pressings, Beatles sleeves, and more.

Station 1
Recent friends with a great selection of rock and jazz, inexpensive and rare.

Stupefaction
My bud Tim's got a lotta fun stuff to scroll through. Rare jazz, reggae, old rockabilly, 10 inches, obscure soul compilations and more.

Vinyl Rescue
Michael has everything. He will take care of you. Great stock, great prices. One of the very best.


5 comments:

Troy said...

I just supported our local record store last week. Picked up 6 albums for about $60, including a live Nevilles album, the Radiators, and a few other treasures (at least, to me). We did a curbside pickup and it worked fine. Hope all the stores that need support feel the love, today or real soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links!

A shopping I will go, a shopping I will go...

Randy

Ken D said...

Wait, this post is dedicated to buying records from your competitors?
What a mensch...

I know this might be heresy on this site but I'm still an CD buyer (occasionally)... any seller recommendations other than the Rainforest? (Have to get that new Lucinda at least.)

Sal Nunziato said...

Ken D.,
I believe Louisiana Music Factory has the Lucinda CD on sale for $9.99

pmac said...

Louisiana Music Factory is requesting all the support it can get, or else it may have to fold. Please consider buying from them.
On a somewhat related note, the vaunted NO music club, Tipitina's is also requesting donations or it to may close permanently.